Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wilcox? ASC Serviceman KIA 1915

Cymro

I wonder if any of the pals could help.

I am trying to research a British serviceman of the Army Service Corps who is supposed to have Died in 1915 - November or December. The man came from Cardiff and his name is Wilcox. I do not know if that is the right spelling however - it could be Willcox, Wilcocks, Willcocks or Wilcock, I just don't know. He is supposed to be commemorated on the Menin Gate.

Many thanks indeed

Jonathan

Sorry :rolleyes: - I should have added that he has one initial B (for Bert, I believe)

Jonathon

If you go to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website, you will be able to pull up a list of all those commemorated on the Menin Gate. depending on where you have found his initial of "B", it may or may not be accurate. Bert is likely to be an abbreviation, possibly for Robert or Herbert - although he may well be a "B" (like Bartholomew)

John

But how about this from Soldiers Died:-

Cpl Gilbert Willcox - KIA 28/11/15, ASC. Born Taunton. Lived & enlisted - Cardiff.

Name is spelt Willcocks by CWGC and he is on Menin Gate.

He is the only likely one shown by SDGW in Nov/Dec 1915

John

John,

Thank you very much indeed. This must be him - I think I've been given the wrong initial. I'll have to get that CD and stop relying on the good will of people like yourself to help me out!

Best Wishes

Jonathan