Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Essex - W. Webb

archangel9

Hi All,

I am currently researching a soldier of the 10th Essex regiment - Pte. W. Webb, 16470. He was killed in action on 15/10/1917 and is commemorated on the Poelcappelle memorial. Other than that I haven't much else to go on, I know he landed in France on 25/7/1915 with the 10th and from his MIC I assume he stayed with the 10th until his death which seems to coincide with the battle of Pashendale? I am thinking of purchasing the war diary entries for october 1917 from the NA but other than that can anyone advise where I might find more information on both the 10th Essex and W. Webb?

Could anyone supply the relevant pages of Burrows? Also what actions would the 10th have been involved in during the period? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a novice to research.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

John

There is a history of the 10th Essex by Banks and Chell which doesn't give much detail of that time. The final capture of Poelcapelle and Meunier House by the 10th Essex and a Norfolk Battalion took place on 22nd October. In the week or 2 before that the Essex were holding the sector around Poelcapelle with HQ at Bulow Farm

Hi John,

There is a little bit more, but not much, in Burrows, Volume 6. The 15th October is not specifically mentioned, neither is Pte. Webb. There were patrols out around about the 15th but there is no mention of casualties.

The War Diary also mentions patrols but no casualties.

Rather disappointing I'm afraid. If you send me your email address to MichaelThierensatEeMike.nl, I'll send you scans of the relevant pages of Burrows and the War Diary entries for October 1917.

Cheers,

Michael

John

You hopefully know his Christian name(s). If so this will narrow down any search you might make on trying to see if his service record has survived. As your info stands here there are six microfilm spools for "Webb W" derivations at Kew. Knowing his name(s) could reduce that down to one ! They are WO363/W444 to 447 and WO363/W537 and 538. You need to look at them on site unfortunately.

The War Diary for the 10th Essex is also at Kew under WO95/2038 and covers from Jul 1915 to Apr 1919. You can pay for a download of 10 pages for 8.50 from the National Archives Catalogue Digital Express service.

Good hunting,and welcome to the Forum, by the way.

Sotonmate

Thanks all for the replies. Very helpful information. Michael, the pages from Burrows and the war diary are facinating reading. But as you say a pity that there is no mention of Pte Webb or any casualties on the night of the 15/10/17. His MIC says K in A 15/10/17 and CWGC says Date of death so I wonder is it possible that he was wounded on a previous date? Would anyone be able to look him up on Soldiers Who Died? Maybe more information there? Also in the War Diary on the 15/10/17 there is a note to Appendix 24, would it be worth my while trying to get hold of this append. from the NA?

Sotonmate, His name was Walter so that will narrow it down I hope. Might be a while before I can get to Kew as I'm currently living in Ireland. Hopefully I can get over round Christmas time. Thank you all again for your help.

Soldiers Died has Walter Webb KIA 15th October 1917 with 10th Essex. Born Ashdon , Essex enlisted Warley (depot of the Essex Regiment)

Hi,

Over the last few days I have been reading through a few threads on the Essex Regiment. Particularly the 13th and the 9th and actions in which they were involved. Unfortunately a lot of the images which were posted at the time are now missing. I downloaded the war diary entries from NA for the 13th Essex for the month of August 1916 and they make fascinating reading, especially Papillions very candid report on the attack of the 8th/9th August on Waterlot farm (below). Could I trouble someone for the relevant pages from Burrows covering this attack? I have the war diary and if anyone would like copies of them please let me know.

post-38480-1223376962.jpg

• 7 years later...
Guest adrianwebb

I know this thread is a few years old but I thought I would just mention that Walter Webb was my great grandfather. I have lots of information if anybody wants it.

• 1 year later...

Gents, I know this post is now very old, but I'm starting to look at my own family's history before it is lost, Walter is related to me (a very few generations back)

if anyone can help me in my search it will be much appreciated