Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6 CURRINGTON brothers served in WW1

frev

Did Ernest Thomas CURRINGTON serve in the NZ Forces?

Six CURRINGTON brothers served in WW1

Sons of Harry Mote CURRINGTON & Sarah Ann ARTHUR – all born in Willesden, Hendon, Middlesex:

According to their father [of 55 Balmoral St, Willesden Green, London]

3 enlisted in England

2 in Australia

1 in New Zealand

1. Arthur Mote, born 1883 – Spr 78997, Royal Engineers, BEF

2. Ernest Thomas, born 1885 –

3. Leonard George, born 1889 – S/Sgt 51480, Royal Engineers, BEF (8 Park Wireless)

4. Clarence Britten, born 1893 – Pte 243, 4th Bn, AIF, served 17/8/14 – 15/8/15 (Invalid)

Married Irene Isobel BROOKS 1918 Randwick, NSW – died 1959 Gosford, NSW.

Along with sons, he also served in WW2.

5. Frederick John Harold, born1895 – Spr 4116, 4th Fld Coy Engrs, AIF – Died 29/10/1915 Gallipoli, in a mining accident, from gas asphyxiation, whilst attempting to ‘save his officer’

6.Harry Reginald, born 1898 – 59601, RAMC, BEF, served in France from 27/8/15 (enlisted age 16½) – died 1954 Burwod, NSW

Be most grateful for any info on Ernest.

Cheers, Frev

Did Ernest Thomas CURRINGTON serve in the NZEF?

Yes. :)

Here's his nominal roll entry, Frev:

Surname CURRINGTON

Given Name Ernest Thomas

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 12/334

Rank Bugler

Body or Draft Main Body

Unit or Regiment Auckland Infantry Batln

Marital Status S

Last NZ Address Bungalow Te Aroha

Next of Kin Title Mrs

Next of Kin Surname CURRINGTON

Next of Kin Address 55 Balmoral Rd Willesden Green London

And page on the Auckland War Memorial Museum Cenotaph. Unfortunately barely any extra information on there and no photo - and I can't find anything on him, genealogy-wise in NZ so far, except that his NZEF file is at the NZ Archives.

Allie

Thanks so much Allie.

I hadn't tried to find any NZ soldiers for so long that all the websites I had bookmarked seemed to have disappeared.

I've now added this one to my favourites.

You may not find anymore on him in NZ - he too may have ended up in Aus. Their father stated that 4 of his boys had landed in Aus by 1920 - so he may have been the 4th. I'll keep looking.

Cheers, Frev

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Frev

There is a photo of Ernest Currington in the Auckland Weekly News of 20/5/1915 indicating he was wounded during the Battle of the Landing at Gallipoli i.e. within the first week or so of the invasion. If you would like a copy, I can post one here or email you directly?

Cheers

Phil

Thanks Phil - love to see his photo.

It would be great if you posted it here - then others will have the opportunity of seeing him too.

Cheers, Frev

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Frev

Firstly an apology for the length of time in replying to this request, and secondly I made an assumption (yes I know!) about his photo. I guessed he would be a wounded chap going by the date, but it appears he wasn't. The photo in question was a group pic of boys of the 6th Hauraki Company, Auckland Infantry Battalion. The portion showing E Currington is attached here. Its not a very good pic, but its the only published photo of Currington that I know of.

Cheers

Phil

post-20148-1226689807.jpg

Hi Phil

Thanks so much for finding the photo of Ernest - always good to see what the men look like.

And in this case, great to see the assumption was wrong and that he wasn't wounded after all! ;)

Cheers, Frev

Frev,

You may already have this...

Ernest Thomas CURRINGTON, born Hendon Q4 1885.

An Ernest T CARRINGTON [sic] (single, male, age not given) sailed from London to Sydney aboard Orient Line ship ORVIETO on 26 November 1909. (May not be him, but closest match I can find!)

Ernest T CURRINGTON married Mabel Isabel L MOBRAY (born Wellingbro' Q2 1882) in Willesden Q1 1916.

Mabel I CURRINGTON (37, married) sailed from Plymouth to Auckland, New Zealand, aboard CORINTHIC on 9 August 1919. Last address in UK: 14 Bina Gardens, London SW 5.

Adrian

Hi Adrian - no apart from his birth I didn't have any of the other detail - thanks for your time & trouble finding this.

Cheers, Frev

• 9 years later...

Hi Guys,

My children are descendants of Clarence Britain Currington and we chasing any information on his family. This site has been marvellous and filled in a few gaps, we would love to contact anyone with more information and share what we already know.