Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Arthur E Bolton, 61510, Manchester Regiment

bigronhartley

Hello,

I would be most grateful if any Manchester Regiment enthusiasts could help with the following soldier

61510 Pte. Arthur E Bolton. His MIC also shows service with the Border Regiment as 31563. Unfortunately, his service papers do not appear to have survived. Is it possible to tell which Battalion of the Manchesters he enlisted with from his service number ? Was there a Battalion of the Manchesters that provided drafts for the Border Regiment ? Is there an Absent Voters List for Manchester ? I'm trying to help his grandson with his search, so any help regarding his enlistment details would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Regards

Ron

Hello Chris,

Thanks for your help. I was hoping that a Manchester Regiment number expert might be able to interpret something from the number. Thanks again.

Regards

Ron

Hello 'themonsstar',

Thanks for your reply. The code & page number from the MIC is H/1/103 B14 page 3325. If anyone is going to the NA, I'd be most grateful for a lookup. Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Ron

Hello again,

Just hoping someone researching the Manchester Regiment can help with my earlier request. Thanks.

Regards

Ron

Hello,

I would be most grateful if any Manchester Regiment enthusiasts could help with the following soldier

61510 Pte. Arthur E Bolton. His MIC also shows service with the Border Regiment as 31563. Unfortunately, his service papers do not appear to have survived. Is it possible to tell which Battalion of the Manchesters he enlisted with from his service number ? Was there a Battalion of the Manchesters that provided drafts for the Border Regiment ? Is there an Absent Voters List for Manchester ? I'm trying to help his grandson with his search, so any help regarding his enlistment details would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Regards

Ron

You would need to see the medal roll for the issuing unit in this case its the Border Regt it could show which battalion of the Manchester Regt he was in. Try asking for a look up at the NA for WO329/1240

Hello 'themonsstar',

Thanks again for your advice. Does the code & page number from the MIC (H/1/103 B14 page 3325) indicate that the medals issued by the Border Regt ? It says Manchester Regt on the medals.

Regards

Ron

He must have moved overseas with the Manchesters first, then moved across to the Border Regt at some point. The Border Regt would have issue the Medals with the first unit he moved overseas in.

H=Records Office, Preston

H/103=Border Regt.

H/104=Manchester Regt.

Hello 'themonsstar',

Thanks very much for your help, it is much appreciated. Is there an Absent Voters List for Manchester which is accessable online ? Thanks.

Regards

Ron

Hello 'themonsstar',

Thanks very much for your help. Just had a look at the Manchesters Site, very impressive too.

Regards

Ron