Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Henry EVA MM (Burnley)

Tom Morgan

I am looking for info on a William Henry Eva who won a military medal in

the Great War. He came from Burnley, and seems to have survived the war.

I've also heard of a Col. D. B. Long who was a expert on winners of the MM but I believe he died a few weeks ago. I think he had a website but can't find it.

If anyone has any info on either W. H. Eva or Col. Long's site, I'd be very grateful if they could let me know.

Tom

Tom

Did a quick search on the London Gazette website.

Page 11 of Gazette Issue 30001, published on 23 March 1917, lists the award of a Military Medal to a 16482 Pte. W. H. Eva of the Scottish Rifles. Could this be your man?

Regards

Mark

Tom

Did a quick search on the London Gazette website.

Page 11 of Gazette Issue 30001, published on 23 March 1917, lists the award of a Military Medal to a 16482 Pte. W. H. Eva of the Scottish Rifles. Could this be your man?

Regards

Mark

Mark - I would guess that it is most probably him. There can't be many with that name. Thank you very much for that info.

Tom

Tom.

That name seems frighteningly familiar to me. I happen to live about 500 yds from Burnley cemetery main gates and ,during my walks around the cemetery (quite a pleasant stroll) I've noticed a few (civilian) graves to MM winners of the two world wars who died in later years. Eva could be one of these. I'll have a "hobble" around on Sunday and see if he's one of them ,if you want.

I'll also take a look at the "Burnley Express" archives for October 1916 to April 1917 and see if there's a mention of his MM exploits, but this'll have to wait untill next week.

If you PM or email me what you know, I'll see if I can find anything extra.

Dave.