Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur Edward Wickens one of 4 sons killed

Terry Carter

Hi folks

Can anyone from Berkshire area help please. Four brothers, surname WICKENS, from Mortimer were killed during WW1.

Charles, 15/5/15.

George Henry, 1/7/16

Harold John, 13/11/16

Arthur Edward, 27/9/18

The last and probably the youngest Arthur was killed serving with the 14 Royal Warwicks. I imagine after the fourth son was killed, it would have made local news for the fact that fours sons had died for King and Country etc.

If any forum member has any info from the local press after the fourth son was killed could they please get in touch.

I am trying to assist a relative of the family who lives in Australia.

Thanks in anticipation

Terry

Terry,

No information on Arthur, but below is I believe a picture of L/Cpl 9811 Charles Wickens from Mortimer. Not Hants Regt as indicated but 1st Bn, Royal Berkshire Regt.

Marc

Terry,

The picture comes from the CD 'Berkshire and the War' which can be found at The Archive Britain Campaign

This is a series of 5 CD-Roms - I only have the first two at present.

Marc

Hello Terry.

Mortimer is not all that far from me Terry,living as i do in Newbury,and i know the area,having spent a bit of time there,when i was a kid.

My Dad used to be a member of the Mortimer Motorcycle Club,and we used to go to trials meetings,around Mortimer,nearly every Sunday.

The surname,Wickens,is still in use around the area,and up until about 2 years ago,i used to work with a Sid Wickens,who was in his mid sixties,and had lived in the Newbury/Thatcham area,all his life.

Maybe some,kind of relation.

I am afraid i don't have any information on the guys that you are looking for,but as i said,i'm just up the road,and if you would like me to go and check out the war memorial,give me a shout.

It maybe worth putting an advert in The Newbury Weekly News,or even The Reading Evening Post.

The Berkshire Family History Society also have a very good archive so i believe.

Good luck,Terry.I think you maybe lucky with this one.

If i can help with addresses etc,let me know.

All the best.

Simon.

Hi Simon

The guy who got in touch with me from Australia, hopes to visit the UK this year and plans to visit Mortimer. He is the grandson of the youngest Wickens brother who was to young to enlist. Have you a contact number for the Berkshire family history society?

thanks

Terry