Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

george ebsworth

Guest Carole

HELLO, IM LOOKING FOR A LITTLE INFO PLEASE ,HOPEFULLY SOMEONE HERE MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP ,AS IVE HAD NO LUCK YET.

ALL I KNOW ABOUT MY GREAT GRANDAD IS THAT HE DIED IN THE FIRST WORLD WAR.

HIS NAME IS GEORGE EBSWORTH HE DIED ON 1/6/1918,IN ARRAS ,FRANC ,WHILE SERVING IN THE 13TH BATTALION,OF THE LONDON REGT,THE KESINGTONS.

I KNOW THAT HE IS COMMEMORATED ON THE FABOURG D'AMEINS CEMETERYAT ARRAS ,AS HE HAS NO KNOWN GRAVE.

BASICALLY THATS ALL I KNOW .I DONT KNOW WHAT HE DID IN THE WAR,HOW LONG HE SERVED ,IF THERE ARE ANY PICTURES AVAILABLE OF THE 13TH BATTALION WITH HIM ,AND YWHY HE HAS NO GRAVE?,IF SOMEONE COULD PLEASE HELP AS THAT WOULD BE GREAT AS BOTH MY GREAT GRANDFATHER AND HIS SON (MY GRAMPS)DIED LONG BEFORE I WAS BORN :( ,AND IVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR ,GEORGE FOR 8 YRS AND ONLY FOUND HIM BY ANOTHER DISTANT FAMILY MEMBER.

THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME IN READING THIS,

KINDEST REGARDS ,CAROLE XX GEORGE EBSWORTH GREAT GRAND DAUGHTER :)

Carole

Welcome to the Forum.

Click on the link at the top left of the page and go to the mother site of this Forum - The Long, Long Trail. Then click on 'Grandad's War' to see how to research your relative.

I assume you have the basic details from the CWGC site but I repeat them below in case.

He will have no grave because either (1) his body was not found or (2) he was found but was not identified and now lies in one of the graves marked 'A Soldier of the Great War - Known unto God'.

Name: EBSWORTH, GEORGE

Initials: G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: London Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/13th Kensington Bn.

Date of Death: 01/06/1918

Service No: 495882

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Bay 9 and 10

Cemetery: ARRAS MEMORIAL

The 'Soldiers Died in the Great War' CD adds that he was 'Killed in Action' and that he lived and enlisted in Marylebone, London.

From The CD Rom Soldiers Died in the Great War

George Ebsworth

Private; Number: 495882

13th (County of London) Battalion (Princess Louise's Kensington Battalion)

Enlisted: Marylebone

Resided: Marylebone

Date Died: 01/06/18

Died How: Killed in Action

Theatre of War: France and Flanders.

Try looking on the main site for information about the actions of this battalion and also the section 'researching Grandads war'.

Regards,

Steve.