The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Cambrai

Guest steve campbell

Guest steve campbell

Hi,

Does anyone have any information regarding maps that help show tours around the area of Cambrai?

Any info would be of a great help.

Regards

Steven Campbell

(p.s. Does anyone know if Phillipe Gorzynski has a museum in the city?)

There is a Musee Militaire in Cambrai. I.i.r.c. special and difficult opening hrs. I went with the French Association 14-18 during a trip of theirs. Phillipe does not own that museum although he naturally knows everyone in Cambrai.

Regards,

Marco

The Gibot / Gorczynski "Following the Tanks" has many maps and details of the area, with good then / now photographs, and a half day tour outline. The Pen & Sword Hindenburg Line Books ("Bourlon Wood" and "The Right Hook") have loads of informataion and more detailed tours. The Gorczynski collection occupies his home/s and outhouses, waiting for the arrival of the million(s) needed to build a museum around Deborah at Flesquieres!

Guest steve campbell

Thanks for that, Does anyone know the name of a book by a chap called fletcher, based on tanks in WWI, it was produced in 2001? I can't remember the full details of the book.

Any info will be greatly recieved

many thanks

"Tanks and Trenches", Grange Books / Sutton £19.99 but often cheaper, always in the shops or from Naval & Military. "That chap called Fletcher" is David of that ilk, Librarian at the Tank Museum, Bovington, and he has a very large moustache and a booming voice, so more respect, please.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest steve campbell

Apologies for the brashness in my description of Mr Fletcher. Does anyone know of any poems that were written in accordance with the Battle of Cambrai? Or any books that may contain relevant poems?

There are two well-ish known poets buried on the Cambrai battlefield:

1. Lt. Ewart A Mackintosh, Seaforth Highlanders, died 21.11.17 and buried in Orival Wood Cemetery, a mile from Flesquières. He is in many anthologies (including Faber Book of War Poetry) and his very powerful ‘War the Liberator’ is printed in Gibot / Gorczynski’s ‘Following the Tanks’

2. Lt. Cdr. Patrick Shaw-Stewart, an old friend of Rupert Brooke and a pall-bearer at his funeral on Skopos (was it?). He died on 30.12.17 and is buried in Metz-en-Couture cemetery.

Obviously neither wrote about the Cambrai battles but as well-honoured veterans both knew what the war was about. I imagine both are easily found in anthologies.

Henry Moore was gassed in a trench at Cambrai. There must be a paper to be written about his work following that experience!

Lt. Cdr. Patrick Shaw-Stewart, an old friend of Rupert Brook and a pall-bearer at his funeral on Skopos (was it?).

Graham & Paul,

You both got close on both counts

The RND poet who died on the eve of Gallipoli was Rupert Brooke

and the name of the island where he is buried is Skyros

Best regards

Michael D. R.

Sorry, Sir. I'm just from a visit to Batley in W Yorkshire, and the famous fabric entrepreneurs Skopos clearly got stuck in my head!