Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POST WAR COMMEMORATIONS IN IRELAND

linden

Last night I watched a programme on RTE about Ireland's relationship to the British royal family . I was surprised to hear that there were large annual memorial services on 11th November , at which "God Save The King" was sung . I had thought that this was a contentious subject after WW1 .

(They empl,oyed a look-alike queen , in ball gown and crown , to sit in the window seat of a Dublin pub ,drinking a pint . The face of the tourist who was transfixed outside the window was a sight to behold !)

Hi I saw that programme also. It did raise some very interesting issues I had not been aware of.

As regards Commemoration after the Great War, yes certainly in the years after Independence there were annual commemorations in all of the Major cities in Ireland. By all accounts these were initially well attended, poppies were worn and on occasion God Save The King was played.

Gradually, however, Nationalist demonstrations began to be held at these gatherings and the commemorations became more contentious.

It was at this time also that the War Memorial at Islandbridge, Dublin was being designed and the Free State Government gave tentative approval for it and also provided some funding.

This is a very interesting part of Irish history that has been scarcely written about or researched.

Isadore

I remember seeing photos of large commemorations in Dublin around the 1930's, but for the life of me can't recall where. As to the Island bridge memorial, I live near it and as a kid in the 70's use to play down there, it was let run down a bit, but then in the late 80's and early 90's it was restored and the area around it replanted. I was there last week and it really is a fitting memorial, its not far from the river Liffey and a lovely place to go for a walk, its hard to believe that the City is so close as you ramble around it.

Peter

I was really surprised to learn that the king remained in place until 1949 .

I was relieved to hear that the commemorations were taking place because I had assumed that service in the Great War had become something to be hidden . It was an interesting programme .

(I'd been shocked when I first read that Victoria had visited Ireland during the Famine years , and that she had been welcomed ) .

This is a very interesting part of Irish history that has been scarcely written about or researched.

Isadore

You may not have seen:

They Shall Grow Not Old. Irish Soldiers and the Great War” by Myles Dungan (Dublin, Four Courts Press, 1997)

Ireland and the Great War” by Keith Jeffrey (Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2000)

Ireland, the Great War and the Geography of Remembrance”, by Nuala C. Johnson (Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 2003)

There are also books about soldiers of the Great War from the counties of Donegal, Dublin, Kerry, Kildare, Limerick, Louth, Mayo and Sligo (details on request).

The National War Memorial gardens at Islandbridge in Dublin are indeed lovely, as can be seen below. A photo of the annual commemoration service held there each November can be seen here. A service is also held in St. Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin each November.

Michael

post-3328-1222965168.jpg

The Irish Times Nerwspaper has in the last few months been printing letters to the editor "Irishmen in British Army Uniforms" which has some discussion on the commemoration Mark has mentioned and other interesting debate.

I've compiled them in one document

Not sure if copyright would allow me to post the letters here but if anyone would like to read them all together let me know and i'll send you the document

Isadore

As Michael has mentioned there is some academic-style literature about this. The books by Myles Dungan and Keith Jeffery are good on this - the Jeffery one is a good example of a book written largely for an academic audience but which is accessible for everyone. Nuala Johnson's book might be a bit theoretical for the reader unversed in cultural geography... (A category in which I include myself!) :)

Swizz

Irish Voices, a book by Peter Somerville-Large, provides an interesting glimpse of Irish history from what might be termed a "Church of Ireland" viewpoint. He relates how southern loyalists, ex-soldiers and Protestants tried to maintain their traditions after 1921, but sometimes faced hostility. Armistice Day commemorations were maintained, although on occasions red poppies would be forcibly removed, and there were objections to the Union Flag (as depicted on British Legion banners). It was, at one stage, suggested that St Patrick's flag might be shown on the flags of the Irish branches, but even this caused objections.

A previous post mentions St Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin. I had the great pleasure of visiting there two weeks ago I have attached a couple of photographs taken at the Cathedral

Cheers Rob.

Hi,

Just came across this.

http://www.castlebar.ie/photos/old/2006/19216.htm

Regards Mark

Please see:-

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...t&p=1023132

with regards above.

Connaught Stranger :D

A previous post mentions St Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin. I had the great pleasure of visiting there two weeks ago I have attached a couple of photographs taken at the Cathedral

Cheers Rob.

All 28 of the war memorials in St. Patrick's and their inscriptions can be seen at I.W.M. Project: St. Patrick's Cathedral . Not all of them are Great War memorials, of course.

There are more war memorials there than at any other place in Ireland that I have visited. Oddly, Christchurch, the other protestant cathedral in Dublin, has none at all.

Michael

Michael.

Thanks for the link to the memorials. Do you know if there are any photographs of the Regimental Colours laid up in the Cathedral. Sadly my photographs of them did not turn out to well.

Cheers Rob.

Michael.

Thanks for the link to the memorials. Do you know if there are any photographs of the Regimental Colours laid up in the Cathedral. Sadly my photographs of them did not turn out to well.

Cheers Rob.

Sorry, I don't know where you would get any images. As you found, they must be very difficult to photograph. I didn't take any of them myself.

Michael