Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wood family 5 brothers died

Guest Paul Foster

December 07, 2011

Thanks Wilhelm. Most of the family research was compiled by one of Joseph's descendants, John Rusing. Susan Evans Shaw, a Canadian historian from Hamilton, Ontario, was also a contributor. I believe she was the person who tracked down Frederick Francis Wood as FF Haywood. I added in research from the CEF files, and local Winnipeg, Manitoba items. My bit was the easy part.

Cheers, Jim

• 5 months later...

Is there any possibility that one or both of the brothers who were denied admission due to physical defects (or the one released as unfit for that matter), enlisted and/or reenlisted under false identity? Over the years I have noticed that a number of times.

I make that suggestion given that I have seen this occur even in my own family. i.e. Great Uncle Herbert Tuffrey/Arthur Bartlett #781521 C.E.F.

Cheers

Bob

• 3 years later...

I see from his MIC that James Alfred Wood was discharged due to sickness/injury and was awarded a SWB.

Just wondering whether any members have any details from his SWB that might assist.

Regards

Steve

Hi,

Above described is one of the Wood brothers mentioned in the below topic about the 5 Canadian Wood brothers who apparently died in WW1.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?s=baf5fd71df37ee3bcf138b43db9c4a98&showtopic=107092&st=25

There is also a similar topic on CEFSG.

i see from his MIC that James Alfred Wood was discharged due to sickness/injury and was awarded a SWB.

Just wondering whether any members have any details from his SWB that might assist.

Regards

Steve

Discharged with Rheumatism and Sciatica on 7/9/1917

Craig

Thanks Craig.

Can you assist re a date of enlistment please?

Steve

Ive been asked to get the Coldstream papers for 6344 WOOD

He enlisted 1905, then went to Canada 1906 - after 1 year ? who's decision was this

also a sept 1914 entry date to theatre suggest to me he was a trained soldier

will get back to you all when I go to London next ...

"6. James Alfred Wood 6344

Born July 29, 1887 in Chatham, England (source: birth certificate)

He may have served in the Coldstream Guards prior to emigrating to Canada in 1906 (source: Edmonton Bulletin newspaper articles)

He returned to England and enlisted on September 11, 1914. He served in No 4 Company, 3rd Battalion, Coldstream Guards until medically discharged after a serious leg injury or wound. He returned to Canada aboard the SS Justicia in September 1917. By coincidence, his brother Charles also returned aboard the same sailing. (source: Medal Card, newspaper articles & brother Charles diary confirmed)

Died April 20, 1948 in Winnipeg, Manitoba (source: newspaper obituary & cemetery records).

Buried at Brookside Cemetery, Winnipeg, Manitoba in the Military Section, not far from his mother. His grave, although in the Field of Honour, is unmarked."

Enlisted in 1905 - september 1914 is when he entered theatre

• 4 years later...
On 16/08/2011 at 15:55, jayelbee said:

To add a bit of information to what is already posted:

According to articles in the Winnipeg Free Press in the mid to late 1920's Charlotte Susan Wood was active in the "Ladies Auxilliaries" of several veterans associations. She took part in the Vimy Pilgrimage in July 1936. A Free Press article dated July 28, 1936 described her presentation to the King. When Mrs Wood died on October 11, 1939, she was living at 812 Burnell Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. At that time, this address was a rooming house. Her obituary the following day did not mention any family members. Mrs Wood's grave at Brookside Cemetery in Winnipeg was unmarked until 2003, when a local company donated the marker that stands today.

We know that six sons were living in North America at the time of her death: William, James, Benjamin, John, Harry and Charles, but only James was known to be living in Winnipeg in 1939. The Winnipeg Henderson Directory listed a "WW Wood" living at 808 Burnell Street in 1939. This might be our man, especially as he would be living next door to his mother. The best I can say, though, is "might". I found references to two "William Wood's" in a newspaper archive search. One, whose full name was William Walter Wood, lived in Emerson, Manitoba, on the Canada/US border. He died in Winnipeg on November 23, 1979 and is buried at Brookside Cemetery in Winnipeg. However, his obituary refers to surviving brothers named Reginald and Clare. The other William Wood died at Winnipeg on April 19, 1950, but he was born in Scotland. So, I don't think either one is the elusive William Walter Wood we seek.

John Jacob Wood enlisted with the 51st Battalion, with regimental number 436163. He sailed overseas with the 1st Reinforcing Draft, 51st Bn. His name is on page 27 of the battalion sailing list.

Herbert Henry Wood followed John into the 51st Bn, with r/n 436232. His name is not on the 51st Bn Sailing List. He later re-enlisted with the 151st Bn, r/n 624177, but he did not sail with that battalion, either.

Charles Christopher Wood also enlisted with the 151st Bn, r/n 624201, but, like Herbert, he did not sail with the battalion, either. His attestion papers are not availalbe on line. In 1948 he was living in Detroit, Michigan, (source, see James Alfred Wood below).

Percy Peter Wood enlisted with the 188th Battalion. He sailed with the 188th to England. His name is on page 21 of the battalion sailing list. He was eventually posted to the 46th Bn. He went missing on May 5, 1917 during what the battalion war diary described as a "minor action" against The Triangle at La Coulette, France. This attack is also described in the book "The Suicide Battalion" (McWilliams and Steel) from page 90.

James Alfred Wood died on April 20, 1948. At the time of his death he was working as a Commisionaire, and lived at Apartment 16, the Empire Block, 207 Logan Avenue, Winnipeg. His obituary stated that he was survived by his brother Charles. John and Benjamin, although alive and living in Alberta, were not mentioned; nor was William. He is buried in the Military Section at Brookside Cemetery, Winnipeg, not far from his mother.

Whatever happened to the sister, Ellen? A search in her name produced no results.

There is no question that Mrs Wood had at least 25 medals and five Memorial Crosses, given that she was photographed on several occasions wearing them. The question is, how did she get them, and what happened to them?. I know from my own research that veterans and veterans' groups guarded the right to wear medals and badges jealously and vigourously. Its hard to believe that no-one would have taken a look at the engravings. All the medals disappeared after her death. The Canadian War Museum announced a search for them in March 1997, (source, Free Press, March 11, 1997). I have no idea of any result.

No matter how you view it, the Wood family contribution to the Great War effort was impressive. Of eleven brothers, Richard and Benjamin were medically unfit for service, Joseph returned to England to volunteer but was not accepted, and William we cannot say for sure. The other seven brothers all enlisted. Two were underage, but only one got caught. Two were killed and, as if to emphasize the tragedy, neither has a known grave. Two were left disabled. Having the most number of sons march off to war, or having the most sons killed in a war is not a contest we would wish any mother to win. Whether one, two or five sons lost, Mrs Wood had every right to demand of her king: "I have been looking at the trenches and I just can't figure out why our boys had to go through that."

Cheers, Jim, Winnipeg

I am the grandson of Charles c. Wood. I didnt know anything about any of this until I was a grown man other than the fact my grandfather had served in the army. He joined at the age of 14 I believe and was discharged later. I heard it was the result of being thrown from a horse, but I think Charlotte contacted the authorities and told them he was underage, but I have no proof of either. I do have a copy of his discharge certificate. I also believe one of my uncles was killed at vimy ridge, but cant remember which. I believe it was Harry, but will have to check. I attended the rededication of the Vimy monument in 2007 along with my cousin, David McCarthy, and have a picture alongside the monument depicting the name. I hate that this bit of history is so confusing as I would like to know the full story.

• 1 year later...

I am writing a feature for Bygone Kent magazine on Mrs Charlotte Susannah Wood. I am so glad I found this topic as there are a number of other sites will very incorrect detail. It is while since anyone posted, is there any updates to know about?  This is a difficult one to write about.  Thank you

Mike