Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

B/170 Brigade Royal Field Artillery

high wood

Amongst the items that I bought this morning was a collection of faded and battered photographs relating to B battery, 170 Brigade, RFA. I have spent the afternoon trying to clean up the photographs so that the images are clearer. The first is a card sent from Lieutenant Frank Stern in 1919 showing the B/170 position at Arleux.

post-6480-1222612944.jpg

post-6480-1222612990.jpg

The first photograph is captioned, C/170 Bde RFA officers. 3rd March 1919. One on leave (Granger). L-R:

2/Lt G.J. Hatton.

Maj T. Reilly. (Thomas Reilly).

M. Perard (interpreter)

Lt P.J. Hale (Percy James Hale).

Capt P.C. Organ. (Percy Cyprian Organ).

post-6480-1222613574.jpg

post-6480-1222613662.jpg

post-6480-1222613701.jpg

Nice photo -- .. from somewhere (on the Forum?) I seem to have a war diary entry for the 170th showing Lt (acting Major) Thomas Reilly won (was awarded?) his MC with C/170 on 28/10/1917

an unusual picture of their gun positions during the battle of Arleux (?) maybe at end of (28th-30th?) April 1917 ?? supporting the 2nd Division attack, perhaps? - a pity so damaged ..

david

Nice photo -- .. from somewhere (on the Forum?) I seem to have a war diary entry for the 170th showing Lt (acting Major) Thomas Reilly won (was awarded?) his MC with C/170 on 28/10/1917

an unusual picture of their gun positions during the battle of Arleux (?) maybe at end of (28th-30th?) April 1917 ?? supporting the 2nd Division attack, perhaps? - a pity so damaged ..

david

David,

I would be interested to see the thread about Thomas Reilly. The picture of the gun position is damaged but at least it has survived. A lot of the house clearance boys used to throw this sort of stuff away as they thought that no one wanted it.

Simon.

Lieutenant (Acting Major) Thomas Reilly, RFA received his MC in the London Gazette of 26 November 1917 and the citation for the award was published in the London Gazette of 6 April 1918:

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in keeping open visual communication with brigade headquarters after the telephone wire had been broken. He personally superintended this, as well as the fire of the battery, although suffering from the effects of gas at the time."

Regards, Dick Flory

• 8 months later...

These photographs are of real interest to me. I have just discovered my Grandfathers records at Kew he was a driver in B Battery 170th Brigade Royal Field Artillery. Do you have any more photos or information. If possible I love to be able to get a high res scan of the ones you've already posted.

Superb photos if you have any more, let's see em'.

Regards

Archived