Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ECOLE de BIENFAISANCE

Max

Hello Everyone

Does anyone know the location of the above educational establishment. (near or in Ypres). In May 1915 83rd Bde HQ was located here.

Any help would be gratefully received,

Andy

Max,

'Ecole de Bienfaisance' was located on the Menin road in Ypres. Approx. behind Menin Road South Cemetery. Was during 3rd Ypres an Advanced Dressing Station.

Jacky

Thanks Jacky and Chris. The school is exactly were I thought it would be, I have seen an old map of the area but the large building complex is just labelled School. Chris, you are right, the photos are excellent.

Thanks again

Andy

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I can't find that post either. I am interested as my grandfather was billeted there just before the first battle of ypres. Any cluse?

Greg,

To start with : I have just sent you a PM, replying to yours.

Also : I posted a number of Topics regarding the Ecole de Bienfaisance / Weldadigheidsschool. This is one of them. With a photo or two and part of a map. (However the Topic itself is about how on one occasion the Flemish name was deformed and mutilated.

http://1914-1918.inv...pic=160330&st=0

If you want more info, just reply to my PM.

Aurel

• 8 years later...

Wanted to share this with the wider community- happy to discuss with anyone further if you have a genuine link or major interest with the place otherwise I will continue to admire this piece of art and history 

EE4BFA15-98B6-4CD0-839C-C694F62D4E8E.jpeg

ACB987F5-79A9-4DCA-AC75-05A9D4EE499B.jpeg

Harry,

What an amazing item ! Especially when I think of where it was 'found' over a century ago, a place where I walk and/or come by several times a week. I'll post a map extract (1917) and a satellite view to show where the Weldadigheidsschool / Ecole de Bienfaisance was after this.

Map 1917.

The school was not rebuilt after that war. But the 'driveway' to it, from the Meenseweg (Menin Road, or Hooge Road as it is mentioned on Harry's photo) later became the Steverlynckstraat. This is the street where the Aldi, Kringwinkel and the Picanol plant are (and also a little more south, not on the map and not on the satellite pic, Meubels (Furniture store) Crack.) The Weldadigheidsschool building was between where now the Kringwinkel was and the northern corner of the Picanol plant parking area.

For the orientation: on the satellite view, near the left side is the Ypres Ramparts (east part), and in the top left corner the Menin Gate Memorial. The road from the top side to the right side is the Menin Road.

Aurel

Weldadigheidsschool satelliet marked.jpg

Weldadigheidsschool trench map 01-04-1917 - marked.jpg

If there is anyone interested in this item who have direct connections and not in it to make a profit I would be happy to discuss but please be honest with me in honour of the fallen

11 minutes ago, Harry Landy said:

If there is anyone interested in this item who have direct connections and not in it to make a profit I would be happy to discuss but please be honest with me in honour of the fallen

I think there may be genuine interest in this in Ypres (In Flanders Fields Museum).

Jan