Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AEF 160th D.H.? What might this be?

Guest kalsina

I understand this is a forum for British forces, but I am hoping someone on this forum might be able to help.

My grandfather was in the AEF 119th Field Artillery, Battery B, serving in France from May 1918 to September 1918, returning to America in May 1919.

After he passed away in 1945, his brother requested copies of his records for a death claim and there is a typed note made on his record (it looks like a correction or an addition) stating that his last organization was in the "Casual Det., 160th D.H." There were also other additions, such as confirming that he was Honorably Discharged, something that was left out of his original record.

I discovered that Casual Det. means Casual Detachment and that this type of unit was usually a holding place for soldiers that were waiting to be reorganized into other units or possibly for demobilization since they weren't actively fighting at the time. It also may have been used for soldiers who were injured, waiting for recovery and to be reattached to a unit. Some members of the family think my grandfather may have been exposed to mustard gas, but they don't have any documentation to that and so I can't say for certain that he was hospitalized during the war.

What I can't find anything about is what the 160th D.H. might be. I thought it might be Division Headquarters, but I can't find any record of a 160th division. I also thought the "H" might stand for hospital, but again, I can't find a 160th hospital and I'm not sure what the "D" might stand for.

Any ideas out there or suggestions of places to search for the answers? I've tried general searches on internet search sites like Google and haven't found anything. I've found a couple of sites about American units in the war, but nothing very comprehensive.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Welcome to the Forum.

I can't help much I'm afraid but.... If you post your Grandfathers details you'll likely get a lot more information. His service records will be online at the Australian archives if you haven't allready seen them.

160 DH... there certainly wouldn't be a 160th Aussie division, not sure if even the German Army had that many, but I doubt it. I think the AEF had 5 Divisions.

This isn't only a British forum, it's a great war forum, there are lots of

Australian and New Zealand members

Neil

You're right about the Casual Detachment being what it is. Just in case D.H. is a typo, there was a 160th Depot Brigade at Camp Custer, Michigan during the war. From the context of what I've seen about depot brigades, they appear to have been involved in the training and/or administrative processing of new soldiers. Possibly they also had something to do with separations and discharges as well.

According to the website of Fort Custer, the current name for the old Camp Custer, the installation was involved in wartime training as well as the demobilization of soldiers after the war. That would correspond with it being a soldier's last duty station.

Neil, Kalsina is talking about the American Expeditionary Forces, not the Aussies.

Kalsina, no idea about DH, unfortunately-- I first thought "Division Hospital", but we didn't have any medical units designated that high in WWI, and had no organisation such as "Division Hospital". We had that organisation in the Civil War and the Spanish American War, but not by the time of WWI. Thinking it might have been a typo for some other kind of hospital, I looked and was unable to find station hospital or anything similar with a number 160. Sorry. A good history of the 119th (which was a Michigan National Guard unit), if you are interested, is at: http://www.michigan.gov/dmva/0,1607,7-126-...17205--,00.html Doc

Hi, "kalsina". welcome to the Forum. I see from your local time that you are on the West Coast of the US.

Although I am a Yank, for the purposes of the Forum I probably am mostly a Hun, and my knowledge of the AEF is rather thin. I have no idea what "160th D.H." might be. The Forum is a good place for your query, but unfortunately the bulk of the Pals are presently asleep, although many of us clearly keep odd hours.

I can't recall ever seeing a reference to a AEF division in the three figures. The "160th division" certainly does not ring a bell. But hopefully someone will soon wake up and see this thread and have the answer to your question.

If you are interested in more research on the AEF and the US in WW I there is a great bargain of a source; the US Army historical center has published all of its WW I material, about 18,000 pages, once published in a large and expensive set of books, as a set of three CDs, attractively boxed and when I bought it it was $22 with postage thrown in. It has a search function, but I never got it to work, or I would take a run at it. If no one is able to help you I could dig them out and give it a go. It is not organized in a way that I think would allow a conventional search for the unit or term, but is a tremendous source for, for example, researching his artillery unit and its service.

Bob Lembke

See, while I was running my mouth two people who know a lot more than I do about the American Army spotted this thread. Good luck!

Bob

Doc2, your post and mine have a positive correlation. The 119th Field Artillery was a Michigan National Guard unit and there was a 160th Depot Brigade at Camp Custer in the same state.

There is a handy way to remember the different acronyms for the Australian vs American forces:

AIF = Australian 'Immediately' Forces (Australian Imperial Forces)

AEF = American 'Eventually' Forces (American Expeditionary Forces)

with reference to the timings of their respective entries into the war.

Robert

All i can say is :blush: :blush: :blush: oops

Neil

Hell kalsina, and welcome to the Forum.

Might DH be Divisional Hospital?

Ron

Thanks for the suggestion of the 160th Depot Brigade. I will look into this further. He did muster in and out of Camp Custer, Battle Creek, Michigan, so this is a plausible answer to the question. Unfortunately, it would involve relying on a typo as you say, but it does seem to make the most sense from what I can find so far.