Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What unit diaries are at the National Archives?

E M Lockwood

I am planning to visit the National Archives in the Spring to do some research. Can anyone tell me how I find out if they have the war diary of a specific unit covering a specific time period?

Many thanks,

Emma

I'm looking for the 2nd/6th Manchester battalion Sep 1914 - Sep 1915. Also the 8th Gloucester Nov 1916 (during the battle of Ancre in particular Nov 13 -19)

Hi Emma,

the diary for the 8th Glosters is held in WO 95/2085

The 2/6th Manchesters didn't arrive overseas until Feb 1917 so wouldn't have a War Diary for the dates that you're looking for, howerver a search of the online archives at the NA would suggest otherwise. There is a diary for the battalion which covers Sept 1915 - Feb 1916 at which time I believe that they were stationed in Crowborough. This diary can be found in WO 95/3144. If this diary does record the time the battalion spent in the UK, the I'm sure many here would like to view it's content...me for starters :rolleyes:

cheers, Jon

ps...I should've realised that you were looking for the 8th Glosters :D

Thanks Jon,

Do you know which battalion of the Manchester Regiment went to Gallipoli?

J A Rowbottom was with the Manchester Regiment when they landed in Gallipoli on May 5th, 1915 and was wounded there on May 19, June 10th, and finally on August 7th - badly enough to be sent home. When he returned (this time to France) he was with the 2nd/6th so I just assumed.

Thanks,

Emma

Thanks Jon,

Do you know which battalion of the Manchester Regiment went to Gallipoli?

Emma

The answer is probably more than one. If you click on this link you will find basic details of all the battalions of the Manchester Regiment. If you then click on the division to which battalion was attached it will tell you where each saw service.

Hope this helps

Mike S

Thanks for the suggestion Mike - seems to be:

1/6th Battalion

August 1914 : in Hulme. Part of Manchester Brigade, East Lancs Division. 26 May 1915 : formation became 127th Brigade, 42nd Division. Guess I'll start a new topic to ask about this one.

Cheers,

Emma

Thanks for the suggestion Mike - seems to be:

1/6th Battalion

August 1914 : in Hulme. Part of Manchester Brigade, East Lancs Division. 26 May 1915 : formation became 127th Brigade, 42nd Division. Guess I'll start a new topic to ask about this one.

Cheers,

Emma

Hello,

Is the 1st Battalion Black Watch held there or is it in Regimental Museum in Perth?

Thanks

Most infantry battalions will have a copy of their war diary at the National Archives. Some are incomplete, though that is not common, nor extensive by dates in my experience.

Regimental museums, etc., if they have copies, will often have an alternative original, or a transcript copy.

Some smaller units, especially the likes of Labour Corps units, have no surviving war diaries, as far as I know.

1st battalion Black Watch:

WO 95/1263 1 Battalion Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) 1914 Aug. - 1919 Mar.

Some parts are available online (£3.50 per downloaded group of files), though it is not clear exactly what is there:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

Search engine if the direct link fails/expires.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...amp;queryType=1

Steve.

Hello Emma

1/5. 1/6. 1/7. 1/8. 1/9 and 1/10 Manchesters all went to Gallipoli between May and Aug 1915, and then on to Egypt in Jan 1916 (when Gallipoli was evacuated) until Feb 1917.

The War Diaries for 1/6th are in WO95/4316 and WO95/4596 respectively. Those for the other TF Manchesters are in the same or adjacent files.

I suspect that your man was originally in 1/6th and was wounded, sent back to UK and posted to 2/6th.

Good hunting!

Ron