Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Trebrys

Marius Sonpauli / Sonpault

Trebrys

Amongst the loose photographs in the album belonging to JC Broome of the 20th RF there was one of a cemetery full of wooden crosses, but mainly focused on one for a Marius Sonpauli or Sonpault. The writing is in a Gothic style (I think) with the number 285 (+one more which I can't make out I think) and then a letter similar to a d followed by "inf". The grass seems pretty overgrown on his grave and considering that Broome probably didn't go to France until mid -1915 it might help dating the grave. If indeed it is a war grave!

A very vague description I know. But would anyone have any idea of its location or who was this man????? Sorry. I know it's a horrible question!!!

Was he German, and if so, is there a German equivalent of the War Graves Commission site?

Any help, as usual, will be gratefully received.

Regards,

Trebrys.

SiegeGunner

Could you post a scan of this pic, Trebrys.

Trebrys

Siege Gunner -

I can. But could you put it up for me please? I really haven't mastered putting photos on the forum, much to my own disgust!! Could you send me your e-mail address?

Many thanks for your interest!

Trebrys.

Michael Johnson

SOUPAULT Marius Joseph

Soldat

Origine : 93 Montreuil /et/ ?? Montrouge (Né le 21/9/1886)

N° A-235588 58°DIR, 116°BI, (58th Reserve Division, 116th Infantry Brigade)

285e R.I. (285th Infantry)

17/11/1914 Tué à l'ennemi (Killed in action)

> Givenchy

>>>> Pas-de-Calais

From Memorial-Genweb

No burial place listed on Sepultures de Guerre, which may mean his family had him reburied at home. Or his grave was destroyed later.

Trebrys

WOOOOOW! :o

Absolutely fantastic! Michael - MANY THANKS! This is absolutely fantastic!

Would there be a way to trace him, do you think? There are also some houses in the distance behind the cemetery! Have I read this right that he was born in a place called Montreuil? Also would it be possible to find out about the action that killed him? I know nothing of the battles involving the French.

Yours most gratefully,

Trebrys.

Trebrys

I have seen mentioned that there is a French version of this great site - would anyone know how to get onto it so I can practise my old A Level French from school on it?

I'd like to find a way of researching into this man.

Many thanks,

Trebrys.

Trebrys

Merci Michael!

I'll have a go in the next thirty minutes or so!

Regards,

Trebrys.

Melaniesplt

Hello.

First of all, sorry for my Bad english, I am French. l am Mélanie Soupault, and Marius Soupault was my grand grand father's brother  (the uncle of my grand father Georges Soupault). I am looking for my ancesters (genealogy). I discovered he died during ww1 in Givenchy... i googled it and I found this topic... So... I answered. I really really Hope you will read my note ... I would love to see the picture of Marius, the brother of Léon (who was born in 1898 and died in 1990), my grand grand father ! 

Best regards,

Mélanie Soupault

mandy hall

Welcome to the forum Mélanie.

Good news, although this is an old thread from 2008 @Trebrys is still a visitor.  Last having visited on 17 November.

Hopefully this will get his attention.

Mandy

Melaniesplt

Hi ! Thanks a lot, Mandy !

I really really really really hope he will answer !! I just can keep my fingers crossed !!! :)

@Trebrys 

Keith_history_buff
Trebrys

Bonsoir Melanie,

C'est enfin Trebrys! Je suis desole pour le delai. Mon francais n'est pas bon aussi! Je suis gallois.

J'ai une vieille photo dans un album de quelques tombes francaises et la croix la plus proche porte le nom "Marius Soupault".

As this is an English website I will continue in English...though my first language is Welsh. I have been a member of this website for many years, though I stopped going on it for a while. 

I have been trying to find out about Marius Soupault for many years and thought to try the French press. I am very happy to meet you.

Best wishes,

Iwan Hughes

(Trebrys)