Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal East Kent Yeomanry

high wood

Another unknown from my unidentified box. This photograph is dated May 1916 and has the name Royce or Boyce on the back, I am not sure what the first name is but the initials E K M Y are clearly visible. Does anyone have a database of the East Kent Mounted Yeomanry? If so, are you able to identify this man?

post-6480-1222543362.jpg

post-6480-1222543403.jpg

HW

Looks like Ferguson Boyce,for which I found no hit in the MICs of WO372/3 (I checked all the details for BOYCE F and derivatives).

It seems only the 1/1 served overseas (Gallipoli),so he may have been in one of the other two units.

Sotonmate

Well done, Noel.

I'm sure that Neil Clark (from this forum), who is part of the Kent Fallen site, would appreciate a PM to let him know about this photo.

Stuart

I think that you may well find your answer here.

http://www.kentfallen.com/PDF%20REPORTS/BIDDENDEN.pdf

When the page loads, do a Ctrl/F and "Boyce."

Noel

Noel,

a superb piece of deduction, well done. I have had this photograph for many years and hadn't been able to crack it. The picture has been framed and I took the photograph out of the frame to clean the glass. Obviously, the name was on the back of the original photograph but when the photo was cut to fit the frame the word James was cut off. I hadn't realised that Ferguson was the middle name.

I am very pleased that another photograph has been identified and that James Ferguson Boyce will be remembered.

Many thanks,

Simon.

Just to recap, thanks to Noel this photograph has now been identified as being of, 3224 Pte James Ferguson Boyce of the Royal East Kent Yeomanry. James Boyce transferred to the Household Battalion and was killed in action serving with No 1 Coy, on the 26th May 1917, age 22. James was the son of James G and Augusta C Boyce, of the Willows, Biddenden, Kent. Born at Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire. Buried at Tournai Communal Cemetery Allied Extension, France.

• 4 weeks later...

PPCLI is 100% correct, any chance of a copy of this photo. I don't want to lift it without permission. I will add it to his entry on Biddenden. Let me know if you want his CWGC headstone (PM me your Email).

This chap was the son of the village doctor.

My email is (clarkneil@hotmail.co.uk) (to stop spam engines

Neil