Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mons Meg

darkisland

I seem to recall hearing about a big gun called "Mons Meg" does anyone have any information about it ? By all accounts it was rather a big gun.

SORRY!!!!

I seem to have got myself mixed up somewhere along the line. It is a big gun I want to find out about and definetely WW1. Could it be Big Bertha I am thinking of?

It seems I upset someone so I do apologise. Perfections a grat thing.

Hello darkisland,

It is not me that is upset. I rather like Edinburgh and I apperently have a reputation for off-topic things :D

There was one big gun firing on Paris and there were two in special bunkers near Verdun. One was called 'Max' if I'm not mistaken (thanks to forum member Christina for guiding us there). There are some knowledable persons who probably can help you out better then me.

Regards,

Marco

SORRY!!!!

I seem to have got myself mixed up somewhere along the line. It is a big gun I want to find out about and definetely WW1. Could it be Big Bertha I am thinking of?

It seems I upset someone so I do apologise. Perfections a grat thing.

What's to get upset about?? Ignore them. Mons Meg was used to fire a salute from the castle for one of the James and THE CANONBALL LANDED ON THE BOROUGHMUIR!! They used to use real ammo in the 16th C. That must have scared the natives. Maybe we should re-introduce this for the One O'clock gun. :lol:

Big Bertha was a Krupps gun but I don't know any details.

Aye

Malcolm