Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th (Service) Bn East Lancashire Regiment War Diary Query

pukkolla

Dear Reader,

I am continuing with my family history and military history reseasch. I am looking for further details of the activity of the 7th (Service) Battalion East Lancashire Regiment. My Great Uncle Percy Brown was killed at Ypres on 31st July 1917 whilst serving with the Battalion. The battalion were part of the 19th Division, 56th Brigade. I am interested in reviewing details of the relevant war diary entry for the period of late July to early August if anyone can help.

Also, I am not sure if there are any details of his service records that have survived the WW2 bombing, if anyone is at Kew at any time it would be great to find out if these records suvived. I have been fortunate enough to access the records for his father, my Great Grandfather George Tyson Brown (1/4th Batttalion East Yorkshire Regiment) already.

Thanks Aaron for providing me with a couple of pointers.

Regards,

Pete (from East Yorkshire).

Peter

BROWN records are now on Ancestry UK. You might be able to get someone here with access to a subscription to look for you !

Otherwise his record would be in Kew microfilms WO363/B1069 or 1070 if it survived enemy action in 1940.

Sotonmate

Peter

BROWN records are now on Ancestry UK. You might be able to get someone here with access to a subscription to look for you !

Otherwise his record would be in Kew microfilms WO363/B1069 or 1070 if it survived enemy action in 1940.

Sotonmate

Thanks for this, I'll check it out.

Pete.

Pete

He has a MIC an Ancestry ( which i'm having trouble uploading at the moment) If his service number with the East Lancs is 27266, then he was also with Army Cyclist Corps No. 10144 and East Yorkshire Regiment as No. 952.

Theatre of war 4a (Africa)

And entry therein is 23-12-1915. Will look further

Ellie

Image details

Description Medal card of Brown, Percy

Corps Regiment No Rank

Army Cyclist Corps 10144 Private

East Lancashire Regiment 27266 Private

East Yorkshire Regiment 952 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/3

post-30902-1222615518.jpg

Ellie

Edit: Who did he go to Africa with? As the original 7th (service) Battlion was in France from July 18th 1915 until it disbanded in January 1918

Pete - a little off subject so I will be rbeif so as not to distract from the topic. I came across the surname Paragreen in Heath & reach, Bedfordshire. Any connection?

post-30902-1222615518.jpg

Ellie

Edit: Who did he go to Africa with? As the original 7th (service) Battlion was in France from July 18th 1915 until it disbanded in January 1918

Ellie,

Sorry about the delay in response here, I have been away. Thanks very much for the details that you have posted. I believe that Percy went to Africa with the Army Cyclist Corps, or possibly with the East Yorkshire regiment, he died with the East Lancs so I am not sure about the order of his other two army numbers. I did find a local newspaper article about his death and in the article it mentioned that he was also injured a year earlier on July 1st (the Somme possibly) so I wonder if he joined the East Lance after that injury.

I have not been able to locate his details in the "Burnt Records".

Thanks again, Pete.

Pete - a little off subject so I will be rbeif so as not to distract from the topic. I came across the surname Paragreen in Heath & reach, Bedfordshire. Any connection?

Steve,

My ancestors came from Buckinghamshire and my family research for Paragreen has identified many Paragreens in that area including Heath and Reach. There is a distant connection, I have not yet located a Paragreen that isn't connected to the Paragreens from Water Stratford (Buckinghamshire), we are spread far and wide now.

All the best,

Pete.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest whitesidewalls
Dear Reader,

I am continuing with my family history and military history reseasch. I am looking for further details of the activity of the 7th (Service) Battalion East Lancashire Regiment. My Great Uncle Percy Brown was killed at Ypres on 31st July 1917 whilst serving with the Battalion. The battalion were part of the 19th Division, 56th Brigade. I am interested in reviewing details of the relevant war diary entry for the period of late July to early August if anyone can help.

Also, I am not sure if there are any details of his service records that have survived the WW2 bombing, if anyone is at Kew at any time it would be great to find out if these records suvived. I have been fortunate enough to access the records for his father, my Great Grandfather George Tyson Brown (1/4th Batttalion East Yorkshire Regiment) already.

Thanks Aaron for providing me with a couple of pointers.

Regards,

Pete (from East Yorkshire).

Pete I have done the research on my grandfather who won his MM medal that day in 7th East Lancs, and probably knew your great grandfather.

If you mail me at whitesidewalls@aol.com I can send you what I have, David

Pete

Have a look through this, especially post #14 by Steve, it may be of interest to you.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...mp;#entry851325

David

My Granddad won his DCM there too.

Ellie