Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for my grandfather's medals

ericaw01

I'm new to the Forum and I'm hoping that someone can advise me as to whether there is a place to post my grandfather's Regimental No. in the hopes that a dealer or collector might have his medals (i.e. the Victory Medal and British War Medal). I have no clue as to what might have happened to them after his death in Colchester in 1928 (aged 31). He was Regular Army and, after the War, he went back to being a Bandsman. I have a few photos of him in uniform (taken between 1919 and 1927) wearing the medals.

I'm new to the Forum and I'm hoping that someone can advise me as to whether there is a place to post my grandfather's Regimental No. in the hopes that a dealer or collector might have his medals (i.e. the Victory Medal and British War Medal). I have no clue as to what might have happened to them after his death in Colchester in 1928 (aged 31). He was Regular Army and, after the War, he went back to being a Bandsman. I have a few photos of him in uniform (taken between 1919 and 1927) wearing the medals.

Hi and welcome to the forum why not post your info on this forum, other pals like myself collect medals, you never know you may be one of the lucky ones but don`t hold your breath I`m still Looking for 3 sets of Family medals,+ a thread is on the go that lists lots of medals that people on the gwf have. all the best fae dundee. ^_^

Thanks for your help, everyone. I'll try at the British Medals Forum but, as suggested, I'll also post the details here! By the end of the War, my grandfather, ALBERT JAMES BUTT, held the rank of Sergeant in the 2nd Battalion Essex Regiment. His Army Serial No. at that time was 43987.

FYI - He had originally joined the Regular Army as a 14 year-old Bandboy with the Seaforth Highlanders in 1911, and his original Regimental Number (until he was transferred to the 2nd Essex in May 1918) had been 735. If this information is of any interest to anyone, I'd love to hear from you. He was wounded twice - shellshock on the Somme (Butte de Warlencourt) on October 12 1916, having arrived in France only a few weeks earlier following his 19th birthday. His second injury came from being shot in the shoulder at the Battle of Broodseinde (19 Metre Hill) on October 4 1917. Although he outlasted the War, quickly married and, after a few years, had my Dad, my grandfather only survived until October 1928 when, aged 31, he died of TB and heart disease no doubt brought on by his Western Front experience. By that time he had made it to Bandmaster of the 1st Bn Royal Fusiliers, stationed in India, and his only survivng child, my father was just 6 months old. Sad end to his military music career.

BTW, I was on a fantastic Battlefields Tour a few weeks ago, personalised with regard to my grandfather's experiences. Is it OK to put in a plug on this forum for the fellow who led it??

• 1 month later...

I there, I often put medals on my website for GWF members, if you want - you can drop me a quick line on gmtraynor1@dodo.com.au Kind regards Gary Traynor