Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

74th Overseas Battalion C.E.F.

Copper6197

Anyone got any information or any help on where to locate (however brief) any history of the 74th Overseas Battalion C.E.F. I know they did not serve as a unit on the Western Front, but were broken up upon arrival in France in 1916

Thanks in advance

George

74th. Battalion CEF first organized in September 1915 with official authorization for the unit based on General Order (Canada) 103a dated August 15, 1915.

Mobilized in Toronto,Ontario, Canada.

Recruited in the counties of York and Peel(just to the immediate west of Toronto).

First draft of 5 officers and 250 men sent to England in September 1915.

Left Halifax, N.S. on April 1, 1916 aboard the Empress of Britain arriving in England on April 9, 1916 (strength: 36 officers and 1046 other ranks).

Thereafter many and large drafts of men (eg. 792 men sent to France on June 6,1916) until final drafts to different CEF units in September 1916 upon which time the unit is practically dissolved.

Formally dissolved by Canadian Order-in-Council (i.e. P.C. = Privy Council) 2545 dated September 15, 1917

The following Library and Archives Canada files exist (amongst others of course) that may be of interest to you,viz.:

Historical Record RG 9, Series III, Volume 4697, Folder 64, File 6

Mobilization Accounts RG 24, Volume 1549, File HQ 683 - 120 - 2

Pay and Paysheets RG 24, Volume 1538, File HQ 683 - 120 - 5

Nominal Roll on leaving Canada RG 9, Series II B3, Volume 80

Hope this helps you.

John

Toronto CANADA

74th. Battalion CEF first organized in September 1915 with official authorization for the unit based on General Order (Canada) 103a dated August 15, 1915.

Mobilized in Toronto,Ontario, Canada.

Recruited in the counties of York and Peel(just to the immediate west of Toronto).

First draft of 5 officers and 250 men sent to England in September 1915.

Left Halifax, N.S. on April 1, 1916 aboard the Empress of Britain arriving in England on April 9, 1916 (strength: 36 officers and 1046 other ranks).

Thereafter many and large drafts of men (eg. 792 men sent to France on June 6,1916) until final drafts to different CEF units in September 1916 upon which time the unit is practically dissolved.

Formally dissolved by Canadian Order-in-Council (i.e. P.C. = Privy Council) 2545 dated September 15, 1917

The following Library and Archives Canada files exist (amongst others of course) that may be of interest to you,viz.:

Historical Record RG 9, Series III, Volume 4697, Folder 64, File 6

Mobilization Accounts RG 24, Volume 1549, File HQ 683 - 120 - 2

Pay and Paysheets RG 24, Volume 1538, File HQ 683 - 120 - 5

Nominal Roll on leaving Canada RG 9, Series II B3, Volume 80

Hope this helps you.

John

Toronto CANADA

Hi John:

Thanks ever so much for the further leads. My grandfather joined the 74th in 1915. I have his individual service record, but am anxious to know about this somewhat shortlived unit!

George

Newmarket, Canada

• 9 months later...
Anyone got any information or any help on where to locate (however brief) any history of the 74th Overseas Battalion C.E.F. I know they did not serve as a unit on the Western Front, but were broken up upon arrival in France in 1916

Thanks in advance

George

Units were authorized to compiled and publish "historical records" but few did because, as you mention, most were broken up. The 76th Battalion, which was recruited at the same time as the 74th, actually did; it's now available online and will give you a sense of what the one for the 74th would have been like had one been published.

http://www.archive.org/details/historicalrecord00bigguoft

Your best option would be to search through the microfilms of the relevant newspapers for the period; most if not all kept regular tab on the local battlion(s), and sometimes printed bios of officers and (some) recruits.