Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eugene Paul Bennett V.C. M.C.

RedCoat

Hi guys,

Recently i bought a Snuff Box that belonged to Eugene from his God-Son, as you can imagine i am very happy and am now researching Eugene. I see that there is no thread devoted to this man and i think that there should, he is famous for charging the enemy trenches with a spade. I will be getting the Snuff Box tommorow and i will post pictures then.

Best Regards, Donnie

Eugene Paul Bennett

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Photo submitted by Martin Hornby - (Gallaher Cigarette Cards)Eugene Paul Bennett VC MC (4 June 1892-6 April 1970) was an English recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest and most prestigious award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces.

He was 24 years old, and a Temporary Lieutenant in the 2nd Battalion, The Worcestershire Regiment, British Army during the First World War when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.

On 5 November 1916 near Le Transloy, France, Lieutenant Bennett was in command of the second wave of the attack, and finding that the first wave had suffered heavy casualties, its commander killed and the line wavering, he advanced at the head of the second wave and reached his objective with only 60 men. Isolated with his small party he took steps to consolidate his position under heavy rifle and machine-gun fire from both flanks, and although wounded he remained in command. But for his example of courage the attack would have been checked at the outset.

He later achieved the rank of Captain. Born Stroud, Gloucestershire 4th June 1892. After World War I, Bennett became a lawyer, being called to the bar in 1923, then serving as Prosecuting Counsel from 1931 to 1935 and a Metropolitan Magistrate from 1935 to his retirement in 1961. During World War II he served as an officer in the Air Training Corps of the RAF. He retired to Vicenza, in northern Italy, where he passed away at the age of 77.

His Victoria Cross is displayed at The Worcestershire Regiment Museum (Worcester, Worcestershire, England).

There is a photo on wikipedia too.

Ellie

• 13 years later...
On 26/09/2008 at 17:28, RedCoat said:

Hi guys,

Recently i bought a Snuff Box that belonged to Eugene from his God-Son, as you can imagine i am very happy and am now researching Eugene. I see that there is no thread devoted to this man and i think that there should, he is famous for charging the enemy trenches with a spade. I will be getting the Snuff Box tommorow and i will post pictures then.

Best Regards, Donnie

Hi Donnie @RedCoat

I was reading your post and would love to meet you and Eugene's God-Son.  I am a Great Great niece of Eugene Paul Bennett.  His late daughter, Elizabeth Ann Bennett, who restored some of Grinling Gibbons wood work at St Paul's Cathedral was my God mother.  She would frequently take me to Gilbert and Sullivan operettas, at Sadlers Wells, when I was a little girl.  She would then invite me for dinner at the local Italian restaurant, on the corner of Roseberry Avenue, who knew her so well, they would keep presenting her with boxes of Quality Street chocolates, in my presence!  

Many thanks and

Best regards, Oriel  

P.S.  I inherited a painting of his daughter, wearing her WWII WRAF uniform, which has hung in the office of the first house, I bought to live in, since 2013!