Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering today - 1st March 2004

Jim Strawbridge

Edith Mary Cammack, A.R.R.C., was based at 4th Southern Gen. Hos. and had seen service at Gen. Hos. (Salonika). She was a staff nurse with the Territorial Force Nursing Service. She is buried in the churchyard of SS. John the Baptist, Lawrence and Ann (plot 186), Knowle, Warwickshire. A private headstone shows there to be a second body in her grave. The headstone is inscribed “Memory of Edith Mary Cammack: A.R.R.C. T.F.N.S. Born August 18th 1875. Died March 1st 1918. Their memory liveth for ever more. Also of Emily Hague Freeman Born February 28th 1862. Died February 11th 1945.” The memorial is presently broken. The adjoining grave has an identical design of headstone and is inscribed “In loving memory of Helen Maud Freeman, Born December 11th 1876. Died June 23rd 1915. And of her husband Reginald Guy Earle Freeman, Born February 25th 1867. Died November 27th 1948.” The 1881 census shows Reginald G.B. Freeman as a schoolboy, the son of the Rev. Gage E. Freeman of Wildboarclough, Cheshire (born 1821 at Tamford, Staffordshire, vicar of Macclesfield Forest). Edith is commemorated on a memorial plaque in the Royal Garrison Church, Farnborough Road, Aldershot, Hampshire as E.M. Cammock.

Guest Pete Wood

The details on the CWGC state:

Name: CAMMACK, EDITH MARY

Initials: E M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Territorial Nursing Service

Unit Text: 4th Southern Gen. Hos. and Gen. Hos. (Salonika)

Date of Death: 01/03/1918

Awards: ARRC

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 186.

Cemetery: KNOWLE (SS. JOHN THE BAPTIST, LAWRENCE AND ANN) CHURCHYARD

ODGW states:

Territorial Force Nursing Service

Died

I don't know the cause of death. 'Died' usually means of illness/disease.

Was 'our' lady on leave when she died, or had she been posted to a unit in the UK....??

Guest Pete Wood

Edith was born in the district of Spalding, Lincolnshire.

The 1901 census shows her and her family as living in the Lincolnshire parish of St Swithin.

If someone has access to the census details, then it will provide the details and address of the family; by the looks of it, there were two or more families with the Cammack name in this parish.

Guest Pete Wood

Helen Maud was Edith's sister.

I believe their father was Thomas George Cammack and their mother was Fanny (in the 1901 census it says Fany - nee Lilee, I believe).

There appears to be a possibility that Thomas was calling himself Tom, and that he was an engine fitter (in 1901). But I can't tell........