Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In Memoriam

Desdichado

I read in today's Guardian that the pistol used in the assassination of Franz Ferdinand in Sarajevo is to go on show at the IWM as part of its Remembering the Great War exhibition that runs from September 30th through September 6th, 2009. Admission is free. I plan to spend a few days in London next month so if any pal wants to meet up for a pint of that watery London ale and a visit to the IWM, send me a PM.

Regards,

Des

• 3 months later...

I caught this exhibition today & was very pleased I did. I prefer the "old fashioned" approach to museums so to see in one place, items like the Sarajevo pistol, Haig's death mask, Jack Cornwell's VC, Sassoon's pistol plus lots more made for a very enjoyable visit. Thoroughly recommended.

(I even thought I saw Bryn Hammond through one of the windows on the 2nd floor balcony but he had his head down so didn't like to disturb him!)

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
I caught this exhibition today & was very pleased I did. I prefer the "old fashioned" approach to museums so to see in one place, items like the Sarajevo pistol, Haig's death mask, Jack Cornwell's VC, Sassoon's pistol plus lots more made for a very enjoyable visit. Thoroughly recommended.

(I even thought I saw Bryn Hammond through one of the windows on the 2nd floor balcony but he had his head down so didn't like to disturb him!)

Brian

Brian

That was me! Head down. Grafting. Or perhaps sleeping.

I won't comment (as I can't) on the exhibition but I hope you enjoyed your visit.

Will all members of the Great War Forum who come visiting the IWM and hope to catch a glimpse of me 'a living exhibit' as it were, please carry a large cardboard sign saying 'GWF Bryn Hammond Please wave'? You never know, I might...

I read in today's Guardian that the pistol used in the assassination of Franz Ferdinand in Sarajevo is to go on show at the IWM as part of its Remembering the Great War exhibition that runs from September 30th through September 6th, 2009. Admission is free. I plan to spend a few days in London next month so if any pal wants to meet up for a pint of that watery London ale and a visit to the IWM, send me a PM.

Regards,

Des

I used to visit Sarajevo in the 1970's and at the point of the assasination, where Princep (sp?) stood, there was a pair of bronze or copper footsteps set in the sidewalk where the killer stood. Nice touch. But on a visit a couple of years ago the footsteps were gone.

Bob Lembke

I went to see this exhibition and enjoyed it. Lots of interesting curios, well presented, and well worth going if you are in or not far from London. I wouldn't recommend making a long journey for the sole purpose of seeing it.