Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Never forgotten

stevem49

On 26th September 1916 men of 9th Bn Sherwood Foresters attacked from Constance Trench and successfully took all of its objectives, despite having its flank 'in the air' for most of the attack.

Once again though the Battalion suffered large losses. The 33rd Brigade had over 600 casualties and 50% of these were from the 9th Bn.

Just over 100 men killed and 200 wounded. Of these 74 are cemmemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

George Farby was Fred Greaves VC, best friend and in the first wave on 26th September. He asked Fred to contact his parents personally to tell them of his death. Fred told him not to be so stupid but the following day George was killed.

23711 Pte George Robert Farby is buried at Pozieres.

The area taken by the 9th Bn was the objective of one of its sister Battalions in the Notts & Derby Regiment on 1 July 1916.

Never Forgotten

(Put in today 25th, as I will be away for a while)

sm

Hi Steve, my Grandfather and my wifes Grandfather were both serving in the 9th Battalion during the Great War (both survived) and might have known Greaves, you never know. ;) Although I did mention the war to my Grandfather he would never talk about his experiences only that he had a piece of shrapnel take one of his fingers off. No, it wasn't his trigger finger. -_-

Hi Steve, my Grandfather and my wifes Grandfather were both serving in the 9th Battalion during the Great War (both survived) and might have known Greaves, you never know. ;) Although I did mention the war to my Grandfather he would never talk about his experiences only that he had a piece of shrapnel take one of his fingers off. No, it wasn't his trigger finger. -_-

What are their names?

sm

May I add the name of John William Armstrong, 9th Battalion, who died two days later on the 28th. He was coal miner from Huthwaite, Notts, who worked in Blackwell and Tibshelf, Derbyshire.

I visited his grave at Puchevillers a few weeks ago.

Not forgotten.