Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for further information

Ruth Steels

Hi - I am new to this so you will have to bear with me if I look incompetant !!!!

I am trying to find further information about my relative GORDON BARKER - he was born near Halifax in 1894 - the son of Ester and William. He joined the Coldstream Guards as a private and was given the Regimental number of 16534. He first entered the theatre of war on 29.8.1916.

In 1918 he married GERTRUDE KNEESHAW of Market Weighton, East Yorkshire.

He then joined the East Yorkshire Regiment as 2nd lieutenant- presumably around Spring 1918 following his marraige.

From family hearsay Gordon was killed 3 weeks before the end of the war. Gertrude and Gordon's daughter was born in the spring of 1919.

I have checked and double checked Ancestry and the only mention I can find is a copy of the WW1 Medal Rolls Index Card for Gordon Barker which was sent to his widow in 1922 stating which medals he had been awarded - nothing else

I am trying to find out if there is a gravestone anywhere or a memorial with Gordons details on.

Any ideas much appreciated.

PS - Whilst in Belgium a fortnight ago we visited Berks Cemetry Extension and visited the actual graves of my great grandmothers sisters twin sons - Leonard and William Crossley of the Kings Royal Rifles - both killed on the same day and buried next to each other - what an eyeopener -

Hello Baileyjack, welcome to the forum,

this entry from SDGW is the most likely candidate, however, his name is misspelt on the CWGC site, have a look here 2Lt Gordon Barke. Hopefully this is the Gordon that you are looking for and perhaps contact the CWGC with regards the spelling, it could just be a clerical typo on the site, but then the 'R' could be missing from the headstone,

cheers, Jon

post-15439-1222331615.jpg

Hello Baileyjack, welcome to the forum,

this entry from SDGW is the most likely candidate, however, his name is misspelt on the CWGC site, have a look here 2Lt Gordon Barke. Hopefully this is the Gordon that you are looking for and perhaps contact the CWGC with regards the spelling, it could just be a clerical typo on the site, but then the 'R' could be missing from the headstone,

cheers, Jon

post-15439-1222331615.jpg

Jon

That is fantastic - you are a star !!! Thanks so much.

I had checked out all the Barkers and Bakers that were on CWG but hadn't thought about trying other spelling concoctions.

With kind regards

Ruth

Ruth,

7th Bn East Yorkshire regiment

20th October 1918

At zero (0200 hours) a heavy barrage was put down and the Battalion moved forward to the attack. B Coy on the left, C in the centre and A coy on the right D Coy was in close support. Stiff oposition was encountered, especially on line of railway, but this was soon beaten down and advance pushed on D Coy mopped up the railway, no prisoners were taken. At 0215 first objective was gained, Coy's then re-organised and advanced to second objective continued, which was gained without much serious opposition. The enemy troops were of good quality and the opposition was strong, but not strong enough to stop our victorious advance, the spirit of the Battalion throughout was excellent. At 0400 the 7th Border Regiment passed through the Battalion and continued the advance. Touch was quickly obtained on the left, with 6th Dorset Regt, but the Division on our right was somewhat slower in getting up. D Coy forming a defensive flank until they pulled up. The enemy artillery was active during the day especially along the railway and gas in the village, the forward areas were shelled lightly until dusk, when a fairly heavy gas concentration was put down, but causing no casualties. At 1500hrs a forward Battalion HQ was established and touch maintained with Forward Coy's by phone, rear HQ being maintained as a relay runner post and signal office. The battalion during the day upwards of 100 prisoners, including 6 officers and 30 MG's. No enemy counter attack was attempted on the Battalion front. About 120 German dead were counted in the Battalion area.

2/Lt G Barker was wounded in this action.

Map 57b NE j and k

Regards Charles

Ill check my CG records when i get home and get back to you

Ruth,

7th Bn East Yorkshire regiment

20th October 1918

At zero (0200 hours) a heavy barrage was put down and the Battalion moved forward to the attack. B Coy on the left, C in the centre and A coy on the right D Coy was in close support. Stiff oposition was encountered, especially on line of railway, but this was soon beaten down and advance pushed on D Coy mopped up the railway, no prisoners were taken. At 0215 first objective was gained, Coy's then re-organised and advanced to second objective continued, which was gained without much serious opposition. The enemy troops were of good quality and the opposition was strong, but not strong enough to stop our victorious advance, the spirit of the Battalion throughout was excellent. At 0400 the 7th Border Regiment passed through the Battalion and continued the advance. Touch was quickly obtained on the left, with 6th Dorset Regt, but the Division on our right was somewhat slower in getting up. D Coy forming a defensive flank until they pulled up. The enemy artillery was active during the day especially along the railway and gas in the village, the forward areas were shelled lightly until dusk, when a fairly heavy gas concentration was put down, but causing no casualties. At 1500hrs a forward Battalion HQ was established and touch maintained with Forward Coy's by phone, rear HQ being maintained as a relay runner post and signal office. The battalion during the day upwards of 100 prisoners, including 6 officers and 30 MG's. No enemy counter attack was attempted on the Battalion front. About 120 German dead were counted in the Battalion area.

2/Lt G Barker was wounded in this action.

Map 57b NE j and k

Regards Charles

Joseph

Thank you for the information you sent me, I am most grateful.

I note you also had relatives in the East Yorkshire Regiment - do you have any ideas where I could look for photos?

Regards

Ruth

Ill check my CG records when i get home and get back to you

Hi Coldstreamer

Thanks for that.

I admit I don't know a lot about the Coldstream Guards [at the moment!] but could you tell me if you have any ideas why a lad from Halifax would end up in them. Were recruits given a choice which regiment they were put in due to abilities etc or were they just sent anywhere?

Regards

Ruth

coldsteam records state

16534 commissioned in the Cambs regt 25.6.15 - Later Acting Captain awarded the Military Cross - still alive 31.12.18 !!

But the MIC says died of wounds ! Perhaps an error in the coldstream records?