Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hero's Homes

Pominoz

Can anyone give me any information about 'Hero's Homes' please? I cannot find any references on the internet. Something to do with the British Government giving returning serviceman a home to start off in following their war years? Was this true?

Thanks, Tom. :huh:

In part this had something to do with a famous (infamous?) end of war speech made by Lloyd George in which he promised all kinds of things for the returning soldiers making Great Britain a "Land fir for heroes." Housing was part of this. There are official publications and architectural periodical articles on this immediate (1919 - 1922) official housing scheme.

John

Toronto

I understand that there was a scheme/charity to give ex-servicemen a plot of land to set them up in agriculture/smallholding. If memory serves one site was in Worcestershire.

Regards Jamie

Various local authorities made some provision for returning ex-servicemen. This ranged from small-holdings to houses. Economic upheaval in the twenties, curtailed these efforts and soon brought an end to them.

I understand that there was a scheme/charity to give ex-servicemen a plot of land to set them up in agriculture/smallholding.

That sounds like the Land Settlement Association, which was created in the early 30s.

Tom,

I have read that in Ireland this was carried out under the "Sailors and Soldiers Land Trust Act" from the foundation of the Irish Free State to provide housing for British ex-servicemen. So I assume that a Bill had been passed in the House of Commons prior to this.

Regards,

C.T.

When I was at Uni in Bristol we were shown some that were still standing in the 1980's at the end of the M32, from memory I think they were maisonettes.