Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Clifford Wlliam Allibone - Royal Field Artillery

Pominoz

Can anyone please tell me how I would determine which section of the Royal Field Artillery my grandfather would have served with, and where? At 15 years old I did not have much interest in what my dear grandfather did during WW1. I remember thinking that to myself at his funeral in 1979. Now in my fifties I am interested to know much more, although to date other than recovering his Medal Card from 'Ancestry' which describes Private Clifford William Allibone, 134194 as a Driver in the Royal Field Artillery, I have absolutely no other leads. I have searched the RFA on the internet and although there is much information available, it is impossible to determine which unit he might have been assigned to. Relatives believe he may have served in North Africa. Can anyone help with more on the RFA?? :(

Hi Tom,

the best route to find Clifford's unit in this case would be to check the medal rolls, which are held at the NA and can only be viewed in person, these ledgers may contain details of his unit. I'm presuming that there is no date of entry recorded on the MIC,

Jon

Thanks Jon, I should have added that I live in Queensland, Australia! Although I still have a few family members in the UK there isn't anyone with the same passion for knowledge about this topic as myself, so it would be hard to find someone willing to search on my behalf at the NA. You are right - there is no date on the MIC. Thanks again, though. Tom. :D

Tom,

it may be worth starting a new thread in this category here, be sure to include the reference/page number that follow the medal entitlement on the MIC,

Jon

Hi Tom - like you, I recently tried to find out more about my grandfathers WW1 involvement. As you have his Army No. you can apply to the Army Personnel Centre for copies of his service records. They might provide some help. It may take some time for them to respond, but believe me, it is well worth the wait.

Army Personnel Centre, MS Support Division, Parliamentary & Disclosures Branch, Historical Disclosures Section, Mail Point 555, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow, G2 8EX Tel: 0141 224 2744.

They will send you an application. You have to provide a few details to prove 'kinship' and pay £30. I received copies of my grandfathers: Military History Sheet, Attestation Statement, (signed in 1909) Description of him on Elistment (age, height, weight etc.) and other very interesting documents. I hope that you get as much out of it as I did. Good luck. Chris

If Clifford was living in Northampton during the war I might be able to find him on the Absent Voters List (he was born in 1891, so he should be old enough) - would he be with the Northampton or Islington Allibones at the time?

I have 85 Roe Road, Northampton as an address for Albert Edward Allibone.

Steve.

His MIC suggest that he only served overseas (presuming he did) from 1916 .. but a tricky one to locate a unit I am afraid. Numbers in the 134xxx were being issued in 1915, do he could have enlisted as early as late 1915

david

Can anyone please tell me how I would determine which section of the Royal Field Artillery my grandfather would have served with, and where? At 15 years old I did not have much interest in what my dear grandfather did during WW1. I remember thinking that to myself at his funeral in 1979. Now in my fifties I am interested to know much more, although to date other than recovering his Medal Card from 'Ancestry' which describes Private Clifford William Allibone, 134194 as a Driver in the Royal Field Artillery, I have absolutely no other leads. I have searched the RFA on the internet and although there is much information available, it is impossible to determine which unit he might have been assigned to. Relatives believe he may have served in North Africa. Can anyone help with more on the RFA?? :(

• 4 months later...