Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Presentation tank

stripeyman

Seph

You have reproduced one of my photos without permission or credit.

Please explain this breach of my copyright!

John

Looking at the properties of the photo in question one finds

Orientation of image: 1

File changed date and time: 2008:12:29 15:18:44

Image input equipment manufacturer: FUJIFILM

Image input equipment model: FinePix6900ZOOM

Software used: Microsoft Windows Photo Gallery 6.0.6001.18000

Copyright holder: David Skinner

F number: 3.6

Given that you sign yourself John I assume that you are not David Skinner which would suggest that the photo is either floating about on the web under someone else's name or someone else has photoed the tank from exactly the same angle (unlikely but not entirely impossible - there are many photos about taken from very similar angles)

Either way it does illustrate the problems of retaining ownership once an image gets out into the Internet.

Looking at the properties of the photo in question one finds

Orientation of image: 1

File changed date and time: 2008:12:29 15:18:44

Image input equipment manufacturer: FUJIFILM

Image input equipment model: FinePix6900ZOOM

Software used: Microsoft Windows Photo Gallery 6.0.6001.18000

Copyright holder: David Skinner

F number: 3.6

Given that you sign yourself John I assume that you are not David Skinner which would suggest that the photo is either floating about on the web under someone else's name or someone else has photoed the tank from exactly the same angle (unlikely but not entirely impossible - there are many photos about taken from very similar angles)

Either way it does illustrate the problems of retaining ownership once an image gets out into the Internet.

I was just about to delete my post having realised my error. Apologies to all, but this photo is identical to one I took a while ago. The position, lighting and everything.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Fascinating. Thanks for the link. Reading between the lines of the caption it seems the tank was at some point moved from its original location (opposite the old swimming baths) to a location at Babworth Hall, where it was eventually scrapped. If so, I presume the photo shows the tank during that move.

Gwyn

Fascinating. Thanks for the link. Reading between the lines of the caption it seems the tank was at some point moved from its original location (opposite the old swimming baths) to a location at Babworth Hall, where it was eventually scrapped. If so, I presume the photo shows the tank during that move.

Such moves were very very rare. However Babworth Hall had a famous (in horticultural circles) huge cast iron water tank which was sent for scrap in 1940. Its just a thought but perhaps the tank stayed near the swimming baths until broken up and the report of the tank being at Babworth Hall and broken up is a result of the legendary British regional journalists attention to detail and dedication to research! (as opposed to reading a flyer and extrapolating.

Very nice photo though

Yes, quite possible! But a few tanks were moved. Aberystwyth's one that immediately comes to mind.

Gwyn

True but usually either in their early years when the memorial area was finished (Worcesters tank for example) or towards the end when the council were trying to get rid of it against some opposition (eg Coventry) I've never come across a tank being transfered to a private person's premesis. Some individuals did get a tank of their own for 'services rendered" Newton of mortar and fuse fame got one for his factory in Derby [which was a male and left in running order] and Lord Salisbury got one for Hatfield Park for example (there were a few others but I'm away from my database) and sometimes these have got muddled in the public memory with the towns presentation tank

On 02/10/2008 at 19:45, KevinW4 said:

Thank you all for your responses and encouragement.

I am obviously still retaining my interest, it is just a tad daunting as a beginner in this forum to know whether I am a help or a hindrance.

I am also glad that I included the reference to Captain Mortimore from Stephen's (delta) book "The First Tank Crews", which then led me here. I can't claim any credit for just "googling"!!

The further reference for the Chiswick tank location corroborates the same spot, facing westwards along CHR towards what is now the Chiswick Roundabout and the M4. In the photograph, it appears that there is a plaque or noticeboard on the wall between the tracks, which would no doubt have given information about the tank and perhaps why it was there. It looks too precisely placed to be a billboard poster, plus the condition of the tank and clarity of the number would tend to indicate that it was fairly soon after being installed. The foliage would therefore be unlikely to be ivy which it resembles, as that would take some years to reach that amount of growth.

I'll post any further "helpful" information and hope that other contributors continue to post also.

Thanks again for the encouragement, I'll try and be of use!!

PS: Please don't scrap Centurion!!

Regards, Kevin

Ashford,Kent,still has its presentation tank in the centre of town.Can anyone enlighten me on its history,please?

Michael

Ashford,Kent,still has its presentation tank in the centre of town.Can anyone enlighten me on its history,please?

Michael

There is a local historian who will solemnly tell you that the tank served with the Canadians and took part in the battle of Vimy Ridge. He gets a bit irate if you question this. It seems that this was the story given by some of the crew that delivered the tank. Unfortunately they told much the same story to a lot of other towns. (It probably went a bit like "Your tank is special it served at Vimy Ridge - yes I will have that second pint mate") Unfortunately it isn't true The tanks in use at the date of the battle were Mk I and Mk II - The Ashford tank is a Mk IV - this type was not available until later. Photos of the tank on its arrival at Ashford show it to have had a three digit home service number which means it was used in the UK, most probably for training, before being presented. This is the most common history of all the presentation tanks. At some stage the council had the engine removed (and sold it) and and I believe a transformer was installed the tank became an electricity sub station. This probably saved it from being scrapped like the vast majority of such tanks.

There is a local historian who will solemnly tell you that the tank served with the Canadians and took part in the battle of Vimy Ridge. He gets a bit irate if you question this. It seems that this was the story given by some of the crew that delivered the tank. Unfortunately they told much the same story to a lot of other towns. (It probably went a bit like "Your tank is special it served at Vimy Ridge - yes I will have that second pint mate") Unfortunately it isn't true The tanks in use at the date of the battle were Mk I and Mk II - The Ashford tank is a Mk IV - this type was not available until later. Photos of the tank on its arrival at Ashford show it to have had a three digit home service number which means it was used in the UK, most probably for training, before being presented. This is the most common history of all the presentation tanks. At some stage the council had the engine removed (and sold it) and and I believe a transformer was installed the tank became an electricity sub station. This probably saved it from being scrapped like the vast majority of such tanks.

Thanks!It may have had an inglorious history,but as you say,it survived!

Michael

• 9 years later...

This is a comprehensive subject so you may have seen this before, I lifted it from E-bay, it must be near the sea as there is a lighthouse at the back, I have no idea where it may be so over to the experts.....

Lighthouse & tank large.jpg

6 minutes ago, stripeyman said:

This is a comprehensive subject so you may have seen this before, I lifted it from E-bay, it must be near the sea as there is a lighthouse at the back, I have no idea where it may be so over to the experts.....

Lighthouse & tank large.jpg

My first thought is Lowestoft?

Alan.

Surprised myself! It is Yarmouth Road, Lowestoft. 

Don't know where that came from but we did stay just up the road in North Parade last August, must have been in my sub-conscious. 

Alan.

lowe.JPG

Does anyone know anything more about the Ashton-under-Lyne presentation tank? Specifically where it was situated and why Ashton would be chosen, I'm assuming it was ultimately scrapped.

All info or pictures greatfully received.

Simon

Edited by mancpal

• 3 weeks later...

The Ashton-u-Lyne tank was, unlike most of the presentation tanks, a Mark III.  Moreover it was a Male Mark III that had had its Male sponsons replaced with Female ones.  Manufacturer's number 815 and in service number 20.  It was placed in Stamford Park, bizarrely right next to the Stalybridge presentation tank.

You'll find a photo of the tank held by Tameside Archives.  If you visit the Archives, do look up the Council records for the time and see f you can find the presentation date.  I'd like to know as I appear to be missing that information.

Gwyn