Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Presentation tank

stripeyman

post-42605-1230587755.jpgWorksop's Tank

Hello everyone, I'm a newcomer here, prompted to join this forum by a chance sighting of the picture in a local nursing home of "Worksop's tank". I wasn't born in Worskop, but have lived here for over 40 years. When I saw the photo I first wondered where in Worksop the tank had been placed, but then wondered how it arrived, how long it stood as a memorial, and when it was removed (or scrapped as I sadly suspect).

Apologies for the quality of the picture here, it's taken by mobile phone through glass. If I can find a better quality version I'll post it here.

In the meantime, should anyone have any more information on Worksop's tank, I'd be very grateful

Thanks

Ian

Brilliant first posting - welcome.

Now thats a nice unusual Home Service Number on that tank. Unfortunately only three presentation tanks survived WW2. The one in Hatfield Park which is now in the Tank Museum, the one at Ashford (still there) and one at Southport which sadly went sometime around 1948.

Not sure but I think there is no external fuel tank at the back which should make it a Mk III which would explain in part the number. If the sponsons were clearer it would be clearer.

A very interesting thread chaps. Its certainly re-kindled my interest (lost many years ago) in the old WW1 'Landships'. I found the attached pic whilst browsing the internet today... but for a different WW1 subgect. The Mk.IV Female tank in question is preserved at Ashford, Kent, England, and is the tank mentioned in post -80.

Enjoy!

Seph :D

post-18081-1230592809.jpg

Thanks for posting the photo of Worksop's tank. I first saw a photo of this tank at the Tank Museum archive last summer, and it is an incredibly rare beast. Not only is it a Mark III, as Centurion has already observed, but it is the only known example of a Mark III Male fitted with Female sponsons. The location, according to the Tank Museum, was the Priory Church, Worksop. However independent verification of that from someone who knows the area would be great.

Gwyn

Thanks Tanks3, that looks to provide proof positive of the location.

After, ahem, comparing the trees in both pictures they do seem to be of the tank in the same location, at the very corner of what is now the Memorial Gardens next to the Ryton on Priorswell Road.

I think the buildings in the background of my photo could be the Worksop and Retford Brewery. As that building is still there I'll drive past tomorrow and check the roof line.

If time permits I may pop into the Town Hall and see if they have any information on when it was scrapped.

Thanks again

Hi I Gibon,

Any info you find out about the tank ie when presented and when scrapped etc would be most welcomed. I am trying to gather as much info as possible to assist The Friends of The Lincoln Tank on this subject.

Thanks

Tanks3

I.Gibson

Good on you for being prepared to do some research. As I've mentioned before, Council records are very useful in establishing dates of presentation, as are local newspapers. I would expect to see a date in 1919 - 20. Dates of disposal are harder to find largely because the range of dates varies widely with the earliest disposal I know of being 1924 and the latest 1948. I did wonder about the nursing home you mentioned - any of the residents remember it? And would the home allow you to get the photo scanned? That might then allow an appeal through a newspaper column. I tried this once for a WW2 experimental tank I was researching and I turned up a chap who helped build it and another who guarded it whilst it was being tested (at Barry - going back to earlier posts in this thread).

Also, as you mention the Worksop & Retford Brewery you might like to know that Retford (Notts) was allocated a tank as well as Worksop. I know nothing whatsoever about Retford's tank but you may well turn up references to this one too.

Incidentally I didn't explain how you can tell this tank was originally a Male. The Tank Museum's photo shows the serial number to be 803 (although it looks like 802 in your photo). Male Mark III numbers are 801 - 825 and Females 601 - 625.

Good Hunting!

Gwyn

This being New Year's Day, the research has been limited to a drive down Priorswell Road to try and locate the location of the tank.

You can't tell from quality of the photo I've posted, but in the background through the trees is the gasometer at the Worksop Gas Works, Smith's Flour Mills, and an unidentified building. The gasometer and unidentified building are both gone, but Smith's still remains, the roofline virtually identical even today.

Without a spade, and possibly a criminal record, I cannot be certain, but I think the plinth for the tank is still there, under the grass next to the kiddie's swings. Sounds far fetched I know, but the outline of a raised area a few inches higher than the surroundings, about 20 feet by 10 feet is definitely there.

If the Queen's Buildings is open tomorrow and I'll see what I can find about both Worksop and Retford's tanks.

Quite enjoying all this.

Gibbo

Without a spade, and possibly a criminal record, I cannot be certain, but I think the plinth for the tank is still there, under the grass next to the kiddie's swings. Sounds far fetched I know, but the outline of a raised area a few inches higher than the surroundings, about 20 feet by 10 feet is definitely there.

This seems to be the case in a number of places - the tank goes but its too much trouble to break up the plinth

I need to correct my post #129.

The Worksop presentation tank is NOT the only Mark III Male with Female sponsons. It is one of two known. The other is 815, HSN20, which was the presentation tank at Ashton u Lyne. Apologies - amazing I forgot that one. My database is now updated so I don't make that particular mistake again.

Gwyn

• 5 weeks later...

Nice photos - not I think a presentation tank but a tank bank selling war bonds - male tanks as this one is, were used for this and the boy scouts usually acted as stewards. Unusual though the unditching rails and beam I haven't seen any photos of tank banks with these fitted. Do you have a date for the photos?

post-5512-1233868142.jpg

at a first glance 38, but on closer examination possibly 68 ?

How inconsiderate of the photographer to have allowed a hat to obstruct the view!

NigelS

I think this is HSN 138 "Iron Ration", which was at Wimbledon on 14 March 1918 on Tank Bank duties, as Centurion says. Nice photos - 'new' ones to me.

Gwyn

Interesting - another home service tank with unditching rails. This would explain why Iron Rations range was more limited than say Julian or Egbert - probably restricted to those towns on lines with a generous loading gauge, in many cases former broad gauge companies with taller bridges and tunnels.

Just found a reference from the 1920s to a tank at Exmouth

“Near where the coastguard hut is now used to be an old Great War tank just dumped in the middle of the beach."

Any one know anything more?

• 1 year later...

Hello all

Sorry to have been absent for so long. I tried accessing the archives of the local newspaper, but they aren't very accessible at all. However, just found this picture of the Worksop tank being dismantled, circa 1934.

post-42605-090561300 1287087210.jpg

Thanks to g@@gle maps, I've compared the row of villas which can be seen behind the nose of the tank, and they match with the position of the tank from the two other earlier photos.

So, definitely no reprieve for this old lady, final destination the local scrapyard, shame.

Gibbo