Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

NZMR

Gallipoli RAF casualty - some questions

NZMR

Hi

I have some questions regarding Ewart Wimbush. He was killed whilst flying a DH9 from Imbros over Gallipoli. Does anyone know:

The aircraft he was flying at the time he was killed?

How and where exactly was he killed?

What was his DFC for? I can't see him in the London Gazette, but then I'm no expert on searching the LG archive.

Wimbush's brother, LEB Wimbush RNAS died 28/3/1918 - does anyone know the circumstances of his death? KIA, Died accidentally?

Hopefully someone will have some answers!

Thanks very much

Phil

Esskay

Not specific answers Phil - but this entry from Flight magazine of August 8th 1918 gives some background to Ewart

Lieut. EWART AUSTIN BOUSCHIER WIMBUSH, R.A.F., was

the only son of the late John Bourcluer Wimbush, of Rothwell,

Yorkshire, and Maud Howland Jackson, of Ringwood.

He was educated at Stubbington House, Durlston Court, and

in H.M.S. Worcester. At the age of 17, when the war broke

out, he obtained a commission in the R.N.V.R., and after

completing the usual course of gunnery in H.M.S. Excellent,

he was appointed to the Tipperary, but was on sick leave when

the Tipperary went down in the Battle of Jutland, and he was

then appointed to the Carysfort, in which he served until he

volunteered for the R.N.A.S. in 1917. After training he was

sent to the Eastern Mediterranean where he took part in the

bombing of the Goeben. He met his death in a duel over the

enemy lines while on a reconnaissance on May 23rd, his 21st

"birthday. The King had conferred on Lieut. Wimbush the

Distinguished Flying Cross.

And from 4th April 1918 - his brother

Flight Lieutenant LEA EWART BARNES WIMBUSH, R.N.,

who died on March 28th, of injuries received in a flying accident

on the previous day, aged 19, was the eldest son of Mr. and

Mrs. John Wimbush, of 13, Pembroke Gardens, Kensington.

He was educated at Glengorse, Eastbourne, and a t Haileybury.

After leaving school he joined the R.N.A.S. in June, 1916,

and went out to France in February, 1917. He was wounded

in an air fight when flying over the enemy's lines in May of

that year. For the last eight months he had been acting as

instructor, and was just about to take up an appointment

on active service.

Cheers

Sue

Dolphin

Phil

Lt Ewart Austin Bourchier Wimbush DFC, of 'C' Sqn RAF [later No 220 Sqn] based on Imbros, was killed in action while flying a DH 9 on 23 May 1918. His DFC was Gazetted on 2 July 1918, but without a citation. A native of Ringwood, Hampshire, he has no known grave and is commemorated on the Haidart Pasha Memorial, Turkey.

Flt Lt Lea Ewart Barnes Wimbush, of Chingford Naval Air Station, died of injuries on 28 March 1918 after a crash on 27 March when flying either Avro 504B N6151 or Sopwith Triplane N5351. He is buried in Islington, Middlesex. FSL L E B Wimbush was flying Triplane N5458 of No 8 Sqn RNAS on 9 May 1917 when he survived being shot down by Vzfw Carl Menckhoff of Jasta 3; it was the 5th of his eventual 39 victories.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

Esskay

Phil - actually pretty sure now they were NOT brothers - probably related - but will check census and come back

Cheers

Sue

alliekiwi

I don't think Ewart Wimbush and Lea Ewart Wimbush were brothers. I think they were cousins whose parents had astonishingly and coincidentally similar names. Take a look at the family tree here. (although, obviously, you are having to believe someone elses research)

Ewart Austin Bourchier Wimbush:

His parents were 1st cousins. His father (John Bourchier Wimbush) was the son of the Reverend Samuel Wimbush, whilst his mother (Maud Wimbush) was the daughter of Samuel's brother, Barnes Wimbush. Maud later remarried, hence the name Jackson.

Lea Ewart Barnes Wimbush

Was the son of John Ewart B Wimbush (brother of Maud Wimbush above, and thus the son of Barnes Wimbush) who married Maud Mary Stokes.

Not that that has any bearing whatsoever on aircraft types and DFCs!

Edit Ah, posted after everyone else again! It was the fault of those Johns and Mauds - their marriages were a plot, I tell you, deliberately done to confuse everyone 100 years down the track!

Allie

Esskay

Crikey Allie - it was all pretty close wasn't it

I thnk I worked it ourt the same as you

Ewart's parents Maud Wimbush and John Bouchier Ewart Wimbush married in Barnet (Herts) 4th qtr 1893

Lea's parents John Ewart B Wimbush and Maud Mary Stokes (or Stoakes) married in Marylebone (London) 2nd qtr of 1895

Ewart's mum and Lea's dad were brother and sister!

In the 1891 census Maud Wimbush (daughter of Barnes) is shown as an artist (Portrait Painting) I wonder if she was famous??

Sorry Phil we are taking your thread a bit off your original questions

Cheers

Sue

Esskay

Ewart has an entry in the Jack Clegg Memorial Database (from Ancestry)

Name: Ewart Austin Bourchier Wimbush

Service Branch: Royal Air Force

Unit: C' Squadron, 62 Wing, Imbros.

Awards: DFC

Death Date: 23 May 1918

Cause of Death: Shot down by hostile aircraft during evening reconnaissance patrol. Believed killed. (Pilot)

Burial: Haidar Pasha Memorial (Asia 81)

Service History: Commissioned Temporary Sub Lieutenant RNVR 7/10/14 ; Benbow Bn. at Crystal Palace 9/1/15 ; 1/5/15 1st Reserve Bn. Blandford ; 15/5/15 to HMS "Excellent." ; Wounded in action 9/5/17 (Western Front) Pilot of Sopwith Triplane N.5458 of 8 (Naval) Squadron. ; Since joining Air Force has flown Leandron, Curtis, Avro BE2C, BE2A, Bristol Scout, Sopwith Fighter, Sopwith Bomber, Sopwith Pup, Sopwith Triplane, Camel. Has shot down two enemy scouts, Albatross D3 in flames, one Halberstadt completely out of control. Has taken part in Goeben operations & other raids.

Service Number: ex-Temporary Sub Lieutenant RNVR

Notes: b.23/5/1897 ; DFC 2/7/18 ; Son of Maud Howland Jackson (formerly Wimbush), of "Netherbrook", Ringwood, Hants., & the late John Bourchier Wimbush.

Also Lea has a Royal Aero Club Aviators’ Certificates, 1910-1950 photo and card on Ancestry

post-16016-1222246256.jpg

post-16016-1222246267.jpg

Cheers

Sue

MikeW

Ok, nobody has the answer to the demise of Lea Ewart Barnes Wimbush so here goes-

At the time of his death he was an assistant instructor at Chingford. The 27th March was Speech Day at Berkhampstead Grammar School, Wimbush, an ex pupil, was performing aerobatics in Sopwith Triplane N5351 {a Chingford machine) over an assembled crowd at the school when he tore the wings off the Triplane after attempting three consecutive loops. He died of his injuries the following day.

(taken from A History of No.10 Squadron RNAS in WW1 published by Schiffer and written by some ner' do well whose name escapes me :P

The book contains a small biography of every Naval 10 pilot. Reluctant to advertise further, A History of No.6 Squadron RNAS does the same thing for every pilot associated with Naval 6)

NZMR

Hi

Thank you to all those who have responded to my questions. A superb bunch of answers for which I am very greatful.

The questions are to assist a researcher here in New Zealand who, I'm sure, will be very pleased to get this information. The family connection saga that Sue and Allie pursued is also appreciated and certainly not off topic - particularly if it clears up some 'duff gen'!

My thanks again

Cheers

Phil

Guest jmmalonejr

Thirty years ago my wife and I were living in Jakarta, Indonesia. One afternoon she returned from shopping in Jalan Surabaya, Jakarta's "Portobello Road," with a present for me, an antique pewter tankard with a glass bottom. It was engraved with the following inscription: "Haileybury College, Inter House Team Race, 1915, L.E.B. Wimbush" The tankard was used by me for three years until I gave up the drink in 1981. Since then, it had gathered dust on a shelf in the kitchen until yesterday when, for want of anything better to do, I Googled Wimbush and discovered the Great War Forum. I am aware that this thread began with questions from someone in New Zealand, so I can only assume that the tankard made its way from Haileybury to Jakarta by way of there. I thought you might be interested. Now that I know the story of young Wimbush, the tankard will be one of my most prized possessions, a real "conversation piece."post-42708-1231000791.jpg

per ardua per mare per terram

Welcome to the forum David and thanks for the pic of the tankard,

The following service records are available at the UK National Archives:

ADM 273/9 Page 210: Lea Ewart Barnes Wimbush. RNAS Officers Service

ADM 273/13 Page 109: Ewart Austin Bourchier Wimbush. RNAS Officers Service 1914-1918

ADM 337/117 Page: 299. Ewan (sic) A B Wimbush. Service record as RNVR Officer.

The latter is now available online for GBP3.50:

Description Name Wimbush, Ewart Austin Bourchier

Date 1894-1922 Catalogue reference ADM 337/117

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

devonmaid

LEA EWART BARNES WIMBUSH

Flight Lieutenant Royal Naval Air Service

who died on Thursday 28 March 1918 . Age 19 .

Additional Information: Son of John E. B. and Maud M. Wimbush, of Fair Acre, Pinner, Middx. Cemetery: ISLINGTON CEMETERY Middlesex, United Kingdom Grave or Reference Panel Number: 12. 980.Haileybury Register 1862-1983 Melvill 1912-15 born 28 May 1898

http://www.haileybury.herts.sch.uk/archive...918%20-%209.htm

stevebecker
Posted (edited)

Mates,

Can I add this on this man (Ewart).

I can find no actions or claims by German or Ottoman pilots during this month around that Area?

While air operations were being undertaken to sink the damaged German/Ottoman ship no claims I can find?

Could he have been brought down by an AA Guns as a German Bty  - defence the Fleet at Stenia

Flakzug 30 (German number: 96)  Moblie Flak
Flakzug 31 (German number: 153) imoblie flak

A new Sqn (12th Tayyare Boluk (Aircraft Company)  was shown around that area but little is known of that unit other then 

Its history is a bit mixed 

12th Sqn - formed from 2 Sqn as Hanikin Flight Detechment at Hanikin Mesopotamia (13th Corps) May or July 1916 or shown formed as (fighter) with 15th Sqn at Smyrna 1918 renamed as 12th Sqn 8-16 based at Uzunköprü May 1918 shown disbanded May 1918 reformed possibly as or with 13th Sqn 

Other Ottoman Sqns were around that area, like the 6th and 9th Tayyare Boluk (Aircraft Company) but again no mention of claims?

As to his claims of;

Has shot down two enemy scouts, Albatross D3 in flames, one Halberstadt completely out of control. Has taken part in Goeben operations & other raids.

Do we have any details of these actions?

Halberstadt  D4 aircraft are known to be with the 6th Tayyare Boluk (Aircraft Company) as well as Albatross types and Albatross types and Fokker E3  were with the 9th Tayyare Boluk (Aircraft Company)

6th (fokker) Sqn - formed (4x Fokker E1) as Fokker staffel at Galata Gallipoli 12-15 to 6th Sqn (Fighter) 4-16 shown (1x Fokker E1 & 1x Halberstadt D4) at Chanakale 12-16 shown (?x Albatross C2) 1918

9th Sqn (fighter) - shown defence of Istanbul (4x Fokker E3 & Albatross D3) at Yesilköy San Stafano 12-16 formed 3x Fokker E3 at San Stefano 1-17 

But maintence was so bad that few planes were operational at any tme

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

b3rn

Here is a photo, taken in 2018, of the memorial in Haidar Pasha Cemetery on which Wimbush is commemorated. He was shot down at the Dardanelles.

IMG_0552.jpg

stevebecker

Mates,

I was doing some more reading and noticed this translated account of an action on the 23 July 1918

23 Mayısta Mülazım Croneiss’in Anafarta-Yalova üzerinde çarpıştığı bir Camel İngiliz avcısı yanarak düştü

On May 23, Mulazım Croneiss collided on Anafarta-Yalova A Camel British hunter burned down

While the idea of a Camel maybe far out this is the mention for the 23 July 1918.

I have two German pilots by that name, Sorry not much details?

Croneiss Theodor Jakob    Lt to Capt    pilot Airforce OC 6th Sqn Tayyare Boluk 1-16 shown possibly with 1st Sqn Tayyare Boluk 1917?     he took over from Lt Korner  and shown claimed 5 victories during stay at 6th Sqn around Gallipoli 

another pilot I have but again little on him;

Croneiss    1/Ltdz Naval    pilot Airforce German Seaplane Sqn (Wasserfliegerabteilung) Üstegmen Croneiss Çanakkale bogazinda denizci Pilot         claimed 1x shown shot down 7-1-16 & 1x shown shot down 8-1-16 & 1x shown shot down 4-2-16

Its possibly both maybe the same man so any help here?

Cheers

S.B