Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/7th Durham Light Infantry

gnr.ktrha

Hello All,

Does anyone have any details when the 2/7th Battalion, DLI landed in Russia, where they landed and any operations they may have taken part in?

Thanks to a Forum Member, I today, found out that a medal to a DLI Sergeant I have, served with this battalion. I did not know the 2/7th served abroad, and now I have discovered that I do not have any information on the British Army in Russia in aid of the White Russians :blush: !

Thanks for looking,

Stewart

Stewart,

From British Regiments 1914/18

2/7th DLI formed in Sunderland 16/9/14 to Leam Lane Camp Heworth in 190 Bde 63rd (2/1 Northumbrian Div) Nov 1915 to Doncaster, July 16 Div broken up 190 Bde to Catterick, 29/11/16 to 214 Brigade 71 Div at Andover. March 17 to Colchester. 12/2/18 214 Brigade to 67 Div R Colchester. Sept 18 became a Garrison Bn, 7/10/18 embarked for North Russia and went to Archangel.

John

Hello John,

I am even more indebted to you now. Sgt Gooch was a big surprise. I remember my Friend, John Williams, telling me that when he was on parade in the 1st battalion in the early 1930's, a 'General' was inspecting when he spied a NCO with a Russia Award. The General asked how he was awarded this medal. The NCO's reply was ' Fighting for my F**king Rations!' :o I wonder if he had been at Archangel?

Regards,

Stewart