Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte William James Holcoop

jimmyjames

My brother went to Hay on Wye today and is now the proud owner of a softback titled "Soldiers Killed on the first Day of the Somme" by Ernest W Bell published in 1977.

He sampled a couple of names from the book to confirm they were listed on SDGW and the CWGC. However, the last of the 10 names sampled, though listed on SDGW has not, fo far, been found on CWGC.

I've tried a couple of variants of the name but have returned nothing on CWGC searches. Only one of this name in SDGW (this very man) I wonder if anyone has come across this unusual name before.

Is the reason I can't find him is that he is not listed in the DoHR?

Regards

Jimmy

jimmy,

I have this softback too and have unfortunately found many differences in qouted soldiers died on the somme and official records.

Andy

Jimmy,

I was looking at this casualty a while ago. Finally tracked him down on CWGC as 'Hulcoop'

HULCOOP

Initials: W J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Gloucestershire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/4th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1916

Service No: 2136

Additional information: Husband of H. Hulcoop, of 50, Penfield St., Mina Rd., Bristol.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. B. 13.

Cemetery: COUIN BRITISH CEMETERY

I haven't done the 1/4th Diary yet, but from my notes they were in reserve near Sailly-au-Bois on the 1st, moved to Mailly-Maillet and then withdrew to Sailly on the 3rd.

I think that Hulcoop is probably correct, there are still plenty of them listed in the Bristol area, but no Holcoops.

Steve

Many thanks, Andy and Steve.

Hulcoop is one of the variants I did'nt try!!!

I thought it odd that the 1/4th should suffer casualties on the 1st July 1916 as 144 Bde, 48th Div, did little fighting on that day. Having said that Martin Middlebrook calculated that the Div lost over 1000 on the day.

Anyway, delighted that Holcoop (Hulcoop) is solved. My brother has now started checking the book for others and it looks like from what Andy has said that there are many differences.

Thanks again.

Regards

Jimmy

• 2 weeks later...

1/4th Bn War Diary:

1st July 1916

"Battalion in bivouacs at pt. 21 (s. of Sailly)....... At 8 am message received that zero time would be 8 am. Battn paraded at once. When about to move on a shell fell within yards of the transport. 6 horses were put out of action, 1 man killed and 2 wounded."

Thus the only 'Gloster' killed on the first day of the Battle of the Somme.

Steve

Steve

I wonder, then, who was the first "Gloster" to lose his life in action on the Somme? Perhaps Captain Elliott Hampden Crooke, 8th Bn, who was killed in action on 3rd July 1916 near La Boisselle.

(The Crooke family house in Charlton Kings is now a pub/restaurant - the Langton Horse).

Regards

Jimmy