Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LOCATION IN THE UK?

macca172

Greetings all,

I am currently researching a distant Australian relative who DOW on the 7th April 1918.

Whilst searching the Red Cross records, I came across a letter sent to the Red Cross from what I believe was his girlfriend that he met in England, whilst recovering from wounds in 1917.

The village/town etc where the lady lived was called...."Honor Oak Park S.W.23". My question being can any reader in the UK give me the location of town please, as I cant find any reference to it in my maps etc; here in Australia.

Regards,

Macca

Thanks mates, I have found the suburb and actually found the street the lady lived in..well done and thank you again.

Regards,

Macca

Further to my earlier request, can any of you guys tell me the location of the "Grove Road Military Hospital". This guy was admitted to this hospital in May 1917 and I am wondering did he meet this lady while in that hospital? Of interest, he was given a days leave from this hospital and went AWOL for nine days......I wonder if this lady was the reason?

Macca

There's a Grove Road cemetery here in Harrogate, but I don't know if there was ever a hospital here (as with everywhere else in the UK lots of hospitals sprang up very quickly during WWI - and disappeared again just as quickly).

If no-one else offers anything else concrete, perhaps you could enquire at the library. The contact details are: Harrogate Library, Victoria Avenue, Harrogate Tel: 01423 720305 email: harrogate.library@northyorks.gov.uk They hold all the relevant information, if there's anything to be found!

Kim,

Is Harrogate anywhere near a town called "Richmond"? In the records I am currently viewing in the column next to Grove Road Military Hospital, is says Richmond?

Macca

Yes, Richmond and Harrogate are both in North Yorkshire - although there is also a Richmond in Surrey (I think?) which is way down in the south.

ahh, just reading your post again, I wouldn't think Grove Road (that I'm referring to) is actually IN Richmond. My Grove Road would be in Harrogate, about a 40 minute drive from Richmond, North Yorkshire (which is close for this part of the county).

Kim,

I maybe onto something here, there is a Grove Road not far from the Richmond tube station in London. That could add up maybe.........will do some more research on this one?

Macca

There is Richmond-upon-Thames as well , part of Greater London now and SW-is if I recall, terribly pukka and posh, but a beautiful place to recover if a hospital was in the area.

John

Kim,

I maybe onto something here, there is a Grove Road not far from the Richmond tube station in London. That could add up maybe.........will do some more research on this one?

Macca

Grove Road, Street, Avenue etc etc is an extremely common name throughout the UK. Without a bit more to go on, it doesn't mean much. A bit like asking for a place near a sheep station in Australia.