Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Household Cavalry Composite Regiment

stiletto_33853

Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if anyone can help me with this unit, formed from one squadron from each of the Household Cavalry units until their parent regiment arrived in France. Particular interest is the 1st And 2nd Life Guards, British Regiments by Brigadier James says landed in Zeebrugge 7-10-14.

My grandfathers Army Form B.108 though states B.E.F. France 16-8-14, any information on the Life Guards from 16-8-14 such as actions, placements etc etc would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Sadly, not much information in the Marquess of Anglesey's history of the British cavalry. Just mention of the fact that they were retrained as machine gunners early in 1918. This coincided with the pressure to reduce the numbers of cavalry.

Bob,

Thanks for looking, yes my grandfather retrained and went into the Guards Machine Gun Regiment in the latter part of may training at Etaples, have got the rest of his service record sorted out just having difficulty with the first part of WW1.

Andy

• 2 months later...

Hi Andy

I have recently added "War Diary of the 1st Life Guards " to my collection, this covers the events from 14/08/14 to 31/07/15, it is quite comprehensive and includes detailed lists of personnel of various ranks, including attached Dragoons & Hussars, of course it also shows daily events, actions fought etc.

From memory I think the book cost less than £10 from the Naval & Military Press, I hope that this information is of help.

David