Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From The Cold - 20.09.08

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database this week.

Pte Arthur ENDERSBY

26666 10th Bn, Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Died 13.11.16 Age 21

Commemoration: Thiepval Memorial, France

Pte Alfred SEARS

G/10508 6th Bn, Queen’s Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)

Died 01.12.17

Commemoration: Cambrai Memorial, France

NOT FORGOTTEN

Pte Endersby is another case found by the ‘In From The Cold Project’ (Volunteer: Adrian Wright)

Apologies for not posting these on the day they happened but I have been on holiday.

May They Rest In Peace

Rest in Peace Arthur and Alfred

Terry,

I hope you had an enjoyable holiday?

Sears is another one of mine -

SEARS, ALFRED. Private, G/10508.

6th (Service) Battalion, Queen’s Own (Royal West Kent Regiment).

Died 1 December 1917.

Born Chiddingstone, Kent. Enlisted Tonbridge, Kent.

Son of John and Sarah Sears (nee Lucas) of Brownings, Chiddingstone, Kent.

Death Certificate not required Alfred’s name is recorded on the GRO First World War Overseas Death Index! This should be sufficient to prove he existed and died on active service. Reference: 1917 I.72 116.

Alfred’s name is also recorded on Soldiers Died Great War (1914-1919).

Alfred’s name also appears in the Queen’s Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) Regimental History (C.T Atkinson).

Alfred’s Medal Index Card also provided which confirms the above.

Alfred’s name appears on the SPELDHURST civic war memorial in Kent.

His father John Sears was a farmer in Chiddingstone, Kent. Before enlistment Alfred worked for his father on the family farm. In fact the 1901 Census shows Alfred as a Farm Worker aged 17 years.

On the day that Alfred lost his life, casualties to his battalion (6th RWKR) were very light, those who fell during that period have war graves in the Honnechy British Cemetery, Nord, France and those who have no known grave are commemorated on the Cambrai Memorial, Louverval, Nord, France which is where this man’s name should also appear.

Throughout December 1917 the 6th West Kent’s were in the line near Cambrai (Battle of Arras). On the 30th November 1917 the 6th West Kent’s held ground on the reverse slope of Lateau Wood. The Buffs were close by re-capturing Pam Pam Farm. The West Kent’s went forward towards Bonavis Farm meeting the Buffs on the way. Various West Kent Companies became detatched and men were dispersed over a wide area. The enemy penetrated the frontline at La Vacquerie. The 6th battalion suffered enormous loss – 250 men were killed or wounded.

This local man was killed in action like Alfred on the same day -

Private G/12678 Henry Edward DRURY. 6th Battalion, Queen’s Own (Royal West Kent Regiment). Died 1st December 1917 aged 32 years. Born Biddenden. Resided Pontlottyn, Wales. Husband of May Harding (formerly Drury) of 4, Glyn Street, Abertysswg, Cardiff, Wales. Henry has no known grave. His name appears on the Cambrai Memorial, France. Panel reference 8.

The 1901 census gives –

Woolpack, Biddenden

Thomas DRURY 66 Labourer Biddenden

Cordelia 65 Biddenden

George 20 Biddenden

• 9 years later...

Henry Edward Drury was actually Edward Drury born in The old Workhouse, Biddenden  in 1885.  By the time he was 12 he used 'Henry' or Harry and this name appears on his Marriage, Enlistment and Death Certificates.  he was buried at Les Rues des Vignes, certified by Lt Dove, his Adjutant and probably lies in a plot of waste ground close to Marcoing - a mixed German and British temporary burial ground.  This is not far from Le Quennet Farm, where I guess he was killed.   He was my maternal Grandfather, my name is John Mackay and my mother was Leah Phillis Drury married John William Mackay in 1932, he died on 19th October 1935,  and Cyril Brindley Jones in 1940)

Edited by Henry Drury