Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Barclay, Edward McCormick- a Gordon?

DotMcGhie

Edward McCormick Barclay was born in Glasgow on 30 September 1893. I know that four of my great uncles died in the war, so he may be one who did. I have traced a medal card for an Edward McCormick Barclay (the only match for this name). This says he was in the 10th Bn Gordon Highlanders, service no. S/5340 and died on 25 September 1915.

Can I be sure it is the same man? Would a Glasgow man end up in the Gordon Highlanders?

I should be grateful for any help on this.

D.

D

Don't be put off by the unlikely(?) posting,a regular theme here. I would say you have found your man. CWGC has this:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=727105

Being named on the Memorial means that he has no known grave.

Sotonmate

Thank you both for your help. I know that my great uncle was born in Glasgow, and I'm fairly sure the family never lived anywhere else. (My grandmother lived until she was 92, so I know some of her background).

It's interesting to learn he enlisted in Glasgow. I have read some of the other posting about people from the south of England ending up in Scottish regiments, so I thought it was probable I had found the right person.

I had found the entry in the CWGC site, but I didn't undertand exactly what that meant, so thank you for that too.

D.