Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guards Machine Gun Battalion Officer's Badges

usmapiper

I recently discovered a set of Officer's Service Dress badges for the Guards Machine Gun Battalion in London. The centres are voided, with enamel backings in red, green and blue. Anybody have any idea what the significance of the red, blue and green backs are? I'm imagining there was a scheme for the Grenadiers, Coldstreamers, Scots, Irish and Welsh, but did multiple regiments share colours (e.g., Grenadiers and Coldstreamers both wore red?) or were there two other colours produced as well so that officers from each of the five foot guards' regiments had a distinctive colour?

I must say that given the short life and modest size of this unit, I'm amazed OSD badges this distinctive were produced. On the other hand, the Guards have never skimped on accoutrements ;-)

Thanks,

Mark Shields

usmapiper

First off, assume we're talking about the five-pointed star of the Machine Gun Guards? Or the Crossed Vickers of the Guards Machine Gun Regiment? Any chance of pictures? If the former, I am aware of a silver, gilt and enamel version of this badge, officer's style and have seen a voided silver with a red enamel back (said to be Sgts/WOs). Haveonly ever seen bronze and brass GMGR ones.

First off, assume we're talking about the five-pointed star of the Machine Gun Guards? Or the Crossed Vickers of the Guards Machine Gun Regiment? Any chance of pictures? If the former, I am aware of a silver, gilt and enamel version of this badge, officer's style and have seen a voided silver with a red enamel back (said to be Sgts/WOs). Haveonly ever seen bronze and brass GMGR ones.

Thanks for the reply Phil! Attached please find a scan of the blue variety. I obtained these with green and red backgrounds as well, andalso a voided one without a back. I also am aware of the officer's variety (I think Bosley sold one a few years ago), and like you, have only seen the GMGR in brass and OSD Bronze.

What do you think?

post-37802-1222223948.jpg

Looks like the one I was told was for use by Sergeants; have also seen a version where the centre behind the voiding was red, but behind the lettering was blue.

Looks like the one I was told was for use by Sergeants; have also seen a version where the centre behind the voiding was red, but behind the lettering was blue.

Do you think the different coluored backings were for different Foot Guards Regiments' heritage (e.g., a Grendaier would wear red, a Scots Gdsmn blue, etc.) and if so, what colours corresponded with which regiment?

Thanks,

Mark

That was my thought as well...........

Red - Grenadiers

White - Coldstream

Dark Blue - Scots

Light Blue - Irish

Green - Welsh

Thanks so much for those thoughts! If so, that means I have to find Coldstream and Irish ones as well ;-)

That was my thought as well...........

Red - Grenadiers

White - Coldstream

Dark Blue - Scots

Light Blue - Irish

Green - Welsh