Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Isaac Rosenberg

Tom Morgan

I'm trying to remember where I have read a short reference to a soldier who remembers "spending a frustrating hour sitting on the fire step, trying to engage Private Rosenberg in conversation" or words to that effect.

Can anyone help?

Tom

Tom.

Not sure if this is the Pte Rosenberg you mean, but a Pte 508 Isaac Rosenberg was a member of the 10th Lincs (Grimsby Chums).

Regards

Chris

I think Tom is after the Rosenberg who served with the King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment.

I'm afraid I don't know the reference but I see from Poems of the First World War, ed Martin Stephen, Everyman, 1993 that Rosenberg's Collected Poems, Heinemann, 1922 included a memoir by Laurence Binyon. The same source mentions that The Collected Poems of Isaac Rosenberg, publisher ?, 1949 includes a foreword by Seigfried Sassoon. Could it have been either of these?

Found it! It was in "Bantams" by Sidney Allinson.

Thanks for your interest, Clive and Chris. Isaac Rosenberg was in quite a few units - he was such an "unsoldierly soldier" that he was shunted around and "got rid of" on several occasions. He may have been the Pte. Rosenberg in the 10th Lincs - I'm not sure.

Tom

Glad you found it.

According to Rosenberg's Life on the Oxford site, Isaac successively graced the:

12th (Bantam) Battalion Suffolk Regiment

12th Battalion South Lancashire Regiment

11th Battalion King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment

40th Division Salvage Office

40th Division Works Battalion

229 Field Company Royal Engineers, attached to 11th Battalion King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment

1st Battalion King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment