Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

D Coy 7th Durham Light Infantry

geofffox

Dear All

Could anyone tell me where the 7th Battalion Durham Light Infantry were at on the 08/01/16 and what they were doing. My grandmother's brother was serving with the battalion and is shown on the CWGC website as being killed on the above date. His details are as follows:

Surname: DAVIS

Initials: T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Durham Light Infantry

Unit Text: "D" Coy. 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 08/01/1916

Service No: 7/2164

Additional information: Son of Thomas and Caroline Davis, of 24, Hardwicke St., Monkwearmouth, Sunderland.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. B. 10.

Cemetery: LONGUENESSE (ST. OMER) SOUVENIR CEMETERY

I'd be grateful to any DLI experts who could tell me where the battalion was around the 08/01/1916 and what they where doing. Or, in fact, tell me anything about the battalion; they appear to be one of the lesser known battalions of the regiment.

Kind Regards

Coldm

Coldm

Longuenesse was principally a burial place for casualties who died of wounds at the General Hospitals of St Omer at this time. 7DLI were around the Ypres area towards the end of 1915 (2nd Ypres).You could find out more precisely by getting info from the unit War Diary which is at Kew in the WO95 series.

Sotonmate

Coldm

Pte Davis Died of Wounds so he could have been wounded weeks before.

7 DLI were the divisional Pioneer Battalion.

The previous death of a soldier of 7 DLI was on 10/11/15 who also died of wounds.

50 Division were in trenches in the Sanctuary Wood/Hill 60 area.

They suffered casualties on the 19th/20th December when the Germans launched a gas attack but Pte Davis could have just been one of the thouasnds who died as part of the daily wastage through shells/mortars/stray bullets/accidents/gas etc.

Sean