Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt.Colonel Skinner Raymond Sebastian

BRIAN TALMER

Hi

Has anyone got any Informatiom on Lt.Colonel Skinner Raymond Sebastian

I know he was in The Hampshire Regiment 3rd Battalion but was Attached to The 5th Battalion Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry.

The only bit's Ihave got are from O.D.G.W. Cd. and also from The C.W.G.C. site

Thanks

Brian

Skinner Raymond Sebastian

Born 30th October 1886 in Tulse Hill, London, the son Lewis Boyd Sebastian, a barrister and his wife Harriet Marie the daughter of Bengt Reinhold Lennartson of Stockholm and Gothenburg.

He was educated at Rottingdean School and University College, Oxford where he completed his BA in 1908, he was called to the bar in 1910. He went to Shanghai in 1912 and practised as barrister.

He returned to England and voluntered for service in 1915.

Gazz 2nd/Lt in 3rd Bn Hamps in March 1915.

Att to 5th BN OBLI in Sept 1915.

Promoted LT in about June 1916.

Promoted Capt in Jan 1917, and Lt-Col in Aug 1917.

Served in France from Sept 1915.

DOW sustained on 23/3/18.

Twice MID L/Gs 18th May and 18th Dec 1917.

Awarde MC for gallant and distinuished service in the field in Dec 1917.

Hopr this of some use,

Kevin

Source: Du Ruvigny

The death of Lt Col Sebastian is mentioned in "A Young Volunteer" a record of the service of Pte F D Cooper of the 5th Oxford & Bucks - he gives a date of 29/3/1918. This was, of course, during the German Spring offensive. There may be more info on this man and I can check for this tomorrow if required.

MC

Hi Kevin & Mike

Thanks for the information from the both of you .

And yes please to the offer of a check for the more info. Mike

Thanks again

Brian

Nothing extra to help you but the relevant paragragh is posted below. The brief account that I am quoting from appears to have been written some while after the war as I am aware of some errors, but it is a fascinating record of one man's war. I quote:-

"We had lost our front and support trenches and now the fighting was in the open. The first few days we were retiring fairly well, keeping in touch and our line not broken. But we had casualties all the time, killed and wounded. We had 106 divisions against us. Every day we were having more casualties and we could only get very little sleep at night. Our Lt. Colonel S.R.Sebastian was killed on 29.3.1918. Major J.H.Boardman was killed 25.4.1918. And we lost most of our Officers and our soldiers too. Our ranks were very thin indeed."

I do not believe that your man is mentioned apart from this brief reference.

MC