Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belgium & France Cemetery Photograph Offer 25-29/09/2008

nadend

I'm going to Belgium/France, September 25-29 (second visit), 2008 onboard an organised coach trip, hence no detours, and limited time for each visit.

Let me know if you want a photograph at one of the following cemeteries and/or memorials, and weather and time permitting, I will try to oblige.

Please note, I already have a number of requests for photographs as listed below. From experience, time only allows me to photograph between 3 and 6 graves/memorial inscriptions per site.

• Bard Cottage Cemetery
  • Cambrai East Military Cemetery
  • Doullens Military Cemetery
  • Dozinghem Military Cemetery (*** personal visit)
  • Etaples Military Cemetery
  • Flesquieres Hill British Cemetery
  • Guillemont Road Cemetery
  • Loos (Dud Corner) Memorial and Cemetery
  • Merville Communal Cemetery
  • Ribecourt British Cemetery (*** personal visit)
  • Suffolk Cemetery, one of two, either La Rolanderie Farm, Erquinghem Lys, or Vierstraat, Kemmel

In addition, the tour normally (but not always) visits...

• Arras Memorial (*** personal visit), and the co-located Faubourg d'Amiens Cemetery
  • Brandhoek New Military Cemetery

FRANK RHODES ARMITAGE, Captain, Royal Army Medical Corps Grave Reference: I. E. 8.

- or possibly the nearby...

Brandhoek Military Cemetery

Brandhoek New Military Cemetery No. 3

JOSEPH CECIL HARRIS, Captain, Royal Army Medical Corps Grave Reference: II. F. 20.

EVANS, Edward Dvr 706871 RFA 17 May 1918 age 22 Grave ref. III.B.12.

• Canadian (Vimy Ridge) National Memorial (*** personal visit)
  • Delville Wood, South African Memorial (or possibly the nearby Delville Wood Cemetery)
  • Menin Gate Memorial (*** personal visit plus...)

Lt William Vivian Keats 52 BN AIF on Panel 7 - 17 - 23 - 25 - 27 - 29 - 31.

• Ploegsteert Memorial (*** personal visit plus...)

8968 L/Cpl Albert Williams, Royal Berks, Panel 7 - 8.

• Thiepval Memorial (*** personal visit plus...)

Private Henry Charles DURNFORD 19241 6th Bn SLI on Thiepval Memorial Pier and Face 2 A.

41581 Pte JOHN MURRAY 2/5TH BATT LANCASHIRE FUSILIERS PIER and FACE 3C & 3D.

18220 Pte WALTER ALBERT CHANDLER, 8th Bn. A Coy, Royal Berkshire Regt. Pier and Face 11D.

Rifleman William Henry Potter, London Regiment, Rifle Brigade, Pier and Face 9D.

• Tyne Cot Cemetery and Memorial (*** personal visit plus...)

6834 Pte John Byrnes, 3rd Battalion AIF, Grave XXXVIII. B. 22.

Please supply the name of the casualty and the CWGC grave reference. In the case of a memorial, please supply the panel number, regiment, rank and name.

Regards

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for your kind offer. There are some graves of men my grandfather served with located in Bard Cottage Cemetery. There's 10 in all, some of them lay together, but if you can't manage to photograph them all please don't worry!

I've listed them by grave plot:

III.H.7, Corporal Alfred J W Nagle

III.H.8, Gunner George Goddard

IV.A.14, Gunner Albert Handley

IV.A.15, Bombardier Thomas Lamb

IV.A.16, Gunner James Grady

IV.B.5, 2nd Lieutenant George McFarquhar Kelly-Lawson

IV.I.1, 2nd Lieutenant James Alec Rattray

IV.I.25, Gunner Duncan M Shiels

V.C.38, Gunner Joseph M Kelly

VI.B.18, Gunner Herbert Charles Smith

Many thanks and kind regards

Steve

Dave

At the risk of appearing greedy and imposing on your generosity a second time, could I possibly request the following two Royal Fusiliers from Flesquieres Hill British Cemetery...

Name: BEARD, WILLIAM JAMES ALFRED

Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers

Date of Death: 27/09/1918

Service No: G/13294

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. D. 7.

Name: GOLDSACK, JOHN GEORGE WILLIAM

Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers

Date of Death: 29/09/1918

Service No: 6658

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. D. 7.

Regards

Steve

Hi Dave,

If Possible

Christopher Green Oxford & Bucks 201746

DOZINGHEM MILITARY CEMETERY

Grave:- II. F. 15

Regards

Colin

Hello again Dave,

another generous offer! I see you already have my man Evans listed under Brandhoek No3 , thank you for remembering.

Bearing your words in mind, I have eliminated any cemeteries/memorials containing a fairish number of casualties of interest to me, and am left with the following possibles on your new list:

Dozinghem Mily. Cemy. - I have a couple here already, but one was overlooked, viz.

WILLIAMS, O. 614463 Dvr RHA 30 Sept 1917 age 30 (Llanfair ME) Grave ref. VIII.H.16

Merville Communal Cemy.

EVANS, O. 13204 Pte Devonshire Regt. 11 March 1915 (Llangeinwen) Grave ref. I.M.7

Merville Communal Cemy. Extension - if you get time to go through into it

JONES, E. 49767 Pte Cheshire Regt. 18 Nov 1916 age 19 (Llanbeulan) Grave ref. I.A.46

LEWIS, O. 695741 Dvr RFA 7 july 1917 age 21 (Anglesey nk) Grave ref. I.B.33

Erquinghem-Lys Churchyard Extension - if visited

BLACK, W.R. 16223 L/Sgt. RWF 14 Nov 1917 age 23 (LlanfairPG) Grave ref. II.E.37

OWENS, W.H. 10514 Pte RWF 20 June 1915 age 23 (Llanfaelog) Grave ref. I.D.10

WILLIAMS, W.I. 2nd Lieut. RWF 18 March 1918 age 22 (Amlwch) Grave ref. II.H.27

...and that's quite enough to lumber you with. As before, please just treat the above as possible, depending on constraints of time etc., and I'll be happy with any of them.

Regards,

LST_164

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I took almost 360 photographs of 63 graves/memorial inscriptions, so again, I was fairly busy. This trip was far more successful than the last one.

But unfortunately, I've not got any photographs for...

• Erquinghem-Lys Churchyard Extension

The party did not visit this cemetery, as it was not on the itinerary.

• Ploegsteert Mem.

The party did not visit this memorial. As on my last trip, I've been hoping to take photographs of two inscriptions here for myself for the last few years, so again, I'm also disappointed.

Could the following people send me a Private Message (PM) containing their e-mail address so that I can send you your photographs...

• Bard Cottage Cem., SFayers
  • Brandhoek New Mil. Cem., D. Lewis
  • Brandhoek New Mil. Cem. No. 3, D. Lewis and LST_164
  • Doullens Cem. Extn. No. 2, John84
  • Dozinghem Mil. Cem., C. Green and LST_164
  • Flesquieres Hill Mil. Brit. Cem., John84 and SteveE

John84, FYI (and others may also be interested), I had some trouble locating your casualty, it wasn't located at VII.G.10, but at VIII.G.10. I checked the CWGC register at the cemetery, and it was also incorrect. Since I got back, I have checked the CWGC's online Roll of Honour database, which is also incorrect. I have sent an e-mail to the CWGC requesting this error is corrected. Unfortunately, the delay in finding your grave prevented me photographing other graves. I was going to attempt to photograph 11 Manchester Regiment graves at this site. However, the chances are, I wouldn't have been able to photograph all these grave during my short visit anyway, so nothing lost.

• Ieper (Ypres) Menin Gate Mem., rqartillery
  • Merville Comm. Cem. and Extn, LST_164
  • Thiepval Mem., M. Dixon, Melpack, rjaydee and rqartillery
  • Tyne Cot Cem., pugaree
Regards

Dave

PM sent, checked my email and files had been received an hour or so before I sent PM, you're far too efficient :lol:

Again, just another public 'thank you' for taking the time and effort on my, and other's, behalf to obtain the necessary photos.

It is much appreciated.

Steve

• 1 month later...

[Dear LIST-164, I see from the attached request, that for : LEWIS, O. 695741 Dvr RFA 7 july 1917 age 21 (Anglesey nk) Grave ref. I.B.33 is very similar to my Great Uncle who was buried in plot I.B.37 and died of wounds from a stray german artillery shell, I wonder if they new each other??:

Driver William Smallshaw no. 696038 (CWGC) and 696033 (Ancestry and Medal Index Card)DOB 9th July 1886, Died 8th July 1917, age 30 years (note, he died the day before his 31st birthday),Royal Field Artillery, 57th Ammunition ColumnMarried 1912, Miss Graham, 3 children: William DOB 1913, Nora DOB 1914 and Alice DOB 1916)Buried Merville Communal Cemetery Extension, France, plot I.B.37.

My brother I will be visiting this cemetery around easter 2009]

Hello again Dave,

another generous offer! I see you already have my man Evans listed under Brandhoek No3 , thank you for remembering.

Bearing your words in mind, I have eliminated any cemeteries/memorials containing a fairish number of casualties of interest to me, and am left with the following possibles on your new list:

Dozinghem Mily. Cemy. - I have a couple here already, but one was overlooked, viz.

WILLIAMS, O. 614463 Dvr RHA 30 Sept 1917 age 30 (Llanfair ME) Grave ref. VIII.H.16

Merville Communal Cemy.

EVANS, O. 13204 Pte Devonshire Regt. 11 March 1915 (Llangeinwen) Grave ref. I.M.7

Merville Communal Cemy. Extension - if you get time to go through into it

JONES, E. 49767 Pte Cheshire Regt. 18 Nov 1916 age 19 (Llanbeulan) Grave ref. I.A.46

LEWIS, O. 695741 Dvr RFA 7 july 1917 age 21 (Anglesey nk) Grave ref. I.B.33

Erquinghem-Lys Churchyard Extension - if visited

BLACK, W.R. 16223 L/Sgt. RWF 14 Nov 1917 age 23 (LlanfairPG) Grave ref. II.E.37

OWENS, W.H. 10514 Pte RWF 20 June 1915 age 23 (Llanfaelog) Grave ref. I.D.10

WILLIAMS, W.I. 2nd Lieut. RWF 18 March 1918 age 22 (Amlwch) Grave ref. II.H.27

...and that's quite enough to lumber you with. As before, please just treat the above as possible, depending on constraints of time etc., and I'll be happy with any of them.

Regards,

LST_164

• 1 month later...

Just a public thanks to Dave for his kindness in providing some wonderful photographs.

Best wishes

Mel

• 2 weeks later...
Dozinghem Mily. Cemy.

Merville Communal Cemy.

Merville Communal Cemy. Extension.

Erquinghem-Lys Churchyard Extension.

Hi LST_164,

I have a trip booked in August 2009, but unfortunately, none of your requested cemeteries are scheduled to be visited. Maybe next year?

Regards

Dave