The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Just For Fun

alex falbo

According to Wikipedia

The 19th/45th East African Rifles is a fictional regiment of the British Colonial Army in the BBC comedy series Blackadder Goes Forth. In the series, Captain Edmund Blackadder states that he is a former member and participated in the famous Battle of Mboto Gorge of 1892 in Upper Volta, in which the regiment faced "10,000 Watusi Warriors, armed to the teeth with kiwi fruit and guava halves". During the battle, Captain Blackadder was able to save the life of Douglas Haig, later Field Marshal Haig, from a Watusi woman armed with a "viciously sharp piece of mango". Following the battle, instead of taking prisoners, the victors simply made a huge fruit salad. It seems that Captain Blackadder realised the highly one-sided nature of this battle- when Captain Darling asked him if he fought in "The Battle of Mboto Gorge where we [the British] massacared the peace-loving pygmies of the Upper Volta, and stole all their fruit?", Blackadder replied- "No, a completely different Mboto Gorge!".

At some point between this and the beginning of the First World War, Captain Blackadder transferred from the 19th/45th to the same regiment as Lieutenant The Honourable George Colthurst St. Barleigh (in the episode "Goodbyeee", George states that he joined the army at "the Cambridge recruiting office", which suggests that he had joined the local regiment, which would either be the Cambridgeshire Regiment or the Suffolk Regiment).

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19th/45th_East_African_Rifles"

The promo trailers show BA et al; wearing Essex Regt Cap etc; Badges,the episodes show a ficticious Badge;a composite ofvarious Badges

Did you know that four Private Baldricks served with the British army in the war, three with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and one with the Queen's? I see that Tony Robinson went for the Surrey tones rather than those of Enniskillen.

Interestingly, the service records of three of them have survived.

Did you know that four Private Baldricks served with the British army in the war

Not to mention the completely genuine Maj-Gen C G Blackader of 38th (Welsh) Division.

I had thought that Edmund B's badges were a sort of mix of Essex Regt and Suffolk Regt.

Lt George, being "gown" rather than "town" probably would not have joined the local regiment - in fact, as a young officer candidate, he would not have "joined up" i.e. enlisted, at all. There is a lot in "Blackadder goes Forth" which owes a lot to the fertile imaginations of Messrs Curtis and Elton and little, if anything, to historical accuracy.

Ron

Wow! The four real Baldricks are a very interesting note. Apparently the name dates back to Germanic origins. I doubt R. Curtis and B. Elton cared to make a historically correct portrayal of the trenches.

Melchett: Well Tallyho! Yippidy Dap! and Zing Zang Spilit!! Looking to bullying off for the final trucker!!??

Baldrick: ~silence~

Blackadder: Answer the geneal Baldrick

Baldrick: I can't answer 'im sir, I dunno what 'es talkin' about....

"There is a lot in "Blackadder goes Forth" which owes a lot to the fertile imaginations of Messrs Curtis and Elton and little, if anything, to historical accuracy."

Ever notice how Baldrick is always wearing his marching order webbing, even when going over the top in the final scene?

Great show though. Pokes excellent fun at whats taught in school.

When we were at Kew a couple of years ago looking at the medal roll we came across a Blackadder and a Darling, I was in stitches pointing it out to hubby. Wish I'd made a note of the details now.

• 1 month later...

In one episode, I recall Baldrick wearing brass shoulder titles. Would anyone happen to know to what (if any) regiment or division they belong to?

Pals,

I think it's from "Goodbyee" when Blackadder is reminiscing about his army career and says with regard to colonial British warfare in the late Victorian period...

"If we saw somebody in a skirt, we shot them and nicked their country!"

And I think goes on to tell George about the evil Hun empire building and British colonialism for the sake of humanity or somesuch....

Brilliant ! :lol:

• 11 months later...

If I were in TV props where on earth would I get a made up cap badge at a reasonable cost? I can only assume that present day makers of them have some tucked away for just such a purpose.

Well, we can now date the final episode......

Name: DARLING, JAMES WILLIAM KINGSLEY

Initials: J W K

Regiment/Service: Royal Scots

Unit Text: 5th Bn.

Date of Death: 11/08/1918

He's the only Captain.......

But it looks like Baldrick did have a cunning plan that finally worked, neither he nor Blackadder are recorded on CWGC on that date!!!

Well, we can now date the final episode......

Name: DARLING, JAMES WILLIAM KINGSLEY

Initials: J W K

Regiment/Service: Royal Scots

Unit Text: 5th Bn.

Date of Death: 11/08/1918

He's the only Captain.......

But it looks like Baldrick did have a cunning plan that finally worked, neither he nor Blackadder are recorded on CWGC on that date!!!

Can't be him, Darling has the line saying "the Great War, 1914 to 1917..." :(

... and, IIRC, wore the uniform of the Coldstream Guards. It certainly wasn't a Scottich uniform.

And his name was Kevin.

Ron

Wow! The four real Baldricks are a very interesting note. Apparently the name dates back to Germanic origins. I doubt R. Curtis and B. Elton cared to make a historically correct portrayal of the trenches.

Melchett: Well Tallyho! Yippidy Dap! and Zing Zang Spilit!! Looking to bullying off for the final trucker!!??

Baldrick: ~silence~

Blackadder: Answer the geneal Baldrick

Baldrick: I can't answer 'im sir, I dunno what 'es talkin' about....

"There is a lot in "Blackadder goes Forth" which owes a lot to the fertile imaginations of Messrs Curtis and Elton and little, if anything, to historical accuracy."

Ever notice how Baldrick is always wearing his marching order webbing, even when going over the top in the final scene?

Great show though. Pokes excellent fun at whats taught in school.

Any Cotswold morris Dancer will tell you what 'Baldricks' are :blush: