Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

48 Squadron

robertb

Thomas Hanford, native of Maesteg, Glamorgan, S. Wales, served in R.A.F. (?R.F.C.), 48 Squadron. He died on 10.10.18, and buried La Kreule, Hazebrouck, Belgium.

If anyone has information relating to 48 Squadron, I would be only too pleased to know.

Rob

No 48 Sqn was was formed in April 1916 at Netheravon and went to France in April 1917, equipped with the Bristol F.2A. After changing to the improved Bristol F.2B, the squadron became an effective two seater fighter unit, claiming 317 victories by the Armistice. The leading pilot, in terms of victories, was Major Keith Park of New Zealand, who was credited with 20 (he went on to become Air Chief Marshall Park and is remembered for his vital role in the Battle of Britain).

"Airmen Died" states that Pte Hanford died from pneumonia.

A photograph of a Bristol F.2B from No 48 Sqn is below.

I hope this helps.

post-25-1078003965.jpg

Guest Biplane pilot

No. 48 was the first squadron to receive the BrisFit, commanded by Maj. Leefe-Robinson who won the second VC for downing a Zep. However, the new fighter's considerable potential was squandered by flying traditional 2-seater formation rather than flinging the big Bristol about as a "scout" with the gunner watching the tail. No. 48's initial engagement with Baron von Richthofen & Co. on 5 Apr 17 was wholly one-sided. However, at war's end the squadron was credited with some 317 victories (not to be confused with enemy a/c destroyed). Besides Keith Park, seven pilots scored in double digits.

No. 48 was based at Reckem, Belgium, from 29 October 18.

:D Thankyou for the information

Rob

48 Sqdn's movements in 1918...

Started year at Flez

22 Mar to Champien

24 Mar to Bertangles

28 Mar to Conteville

03 Apr to Bertangles

26 Aug to Boisdinghem

30 Sep to Ste Marie-Cappel

29 Oct to Reckem

17 Nov to Nivelles

19 Dec to Bickendorf

They departed to India 26.05.19

• 3 months later...

Hi Robert

I've been looking into the history of 48 Squadron as my Grandfather was an observer with them. All the information I have currently found I've out on a web site if you are interested.

Sgt R.L.G.White Website

During October 1918 the squadron where flying over the Belguim front.

If I come across Thomas Hanford in my research I will be happy to forward the information on to you.

Matt