Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mrs Mabel Dearmer

chrisharley9

Phil

as it stands at the moment she will not be recognised by CWGC as the organisation that she was a member was not working for British or Empire Forces

Chris

• 1 year later...

Bumping this again - just wondering if anyone can explain why the Serbian Relief Fund casualties (eg Ross, Ferris & Dearmer) were not awarded medals when survivors were?

I don't think that Elizabeth Ross was a member of the SRF - she went out as a sole civilian to work in a Serbian hospital in Kragujevac, though did meet and mix with the other women.

Sue

Bumping this again - just wondering if anyone can explain why the Serbian Relief Fund casualties (eg Ross, Ferris & Dearmer) were not awarded medals when survivors were?

I suspect it was just an oversight Phil, and not an intentional move. I've got a copy of the medal roll here that includes the SRF (TNA WO329/2324) and the independent units were obviously compiled by their own staff after the war and later submitted. The main SRF roll is overstamped with their office address, 5 Cromwell Road, London, so that's where it originated. Apart from the main roll, which is very hard to read in parts, there are also an extra eight sheets each with one or two names which appear to be later additions and the whole thing a bit of a hotch-potch. So probably down to an omission by the clerical staff in 1920 or whenever.

Sue

I don't think that Elizabeth Ross was a member of the SRF - she went out as a sole civilian to work in a Serbian hospital in Kragujevac, though did meet and mix with the other women.

Sue

I guess that would explain why it was her they chose to name a street after.

I suspect it was just an oversight Phil, and not an intentional move.

Thanks Sue,

Oversight, or, perhaps, a misunderstanding by the SRF - providing a list of the living without realising the dead would also qualify?