Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mrs Mabel Dearmer

chrisharley9

The situation from CWGC re the Serbian Relief Fund.

The organisation does not appear on its current list of civilian organisations recognised under certain circumstances for war grave status and commemoration.

However, one member of the organisation (Tate) does have war grave status but is listed as a member of the Friends War Victims Relief Committee with the Serbian Relief Fund being her subordinate 'unit'. The FWVRC is one of the recognised organisations. Interestingly, Tate is listed in the original 1930 CWGC register for Malta where she is buried as only belonging to the SRF - no mention of FWVRC.

I suspect that the 'FWVRC' was added at a later date for some reason and that members of the SRF were originally thought (possibly erroneously) to qualify if they met the additional qualifications for such organisations.

If Chris wishes to gather the evidence for Dearmer in the usual way, I am willing to put a test case together for submission. I do believe that the original intention was for the SRF to be on the list of recognised organisations.

Terry

will do - there is now 3 possible cases for the SRF

Chris

They should be done at the same time.

However, the qualifications have to be right. The other similar organisations qualification is "Where death occurred overseas whilst serving with or attached to the Commonwealth military forces".

This suggests that being attached to the Serbian forces did not qualify. The crucial point seems to be the need for attachment to British forces.

Terry

just being having a look through the records for 2 ladies of the Scottish Womens Hospital

Name: FRASER, MADGE NEILL

Initials: M N

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Scottish Women's Hospital

Date of Death: 08/03/1915

Additional information: Daughter of Mrs. M. Neill Fraser, of 50, Grange Rd., Edinburgh.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: D. 4.

Cemetery: CHELA KULA MILITARY CEMETERY, NISH

Name: JORDAN, LOUISA

Initials: L

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Scottish Women's Hospital

Date of Death: 06/03/1915

Additional information: Daughter of the late Henry and Helen Jordan, of Maryhill, Glasgow. District Nurse at Buckhaven, Fife. Born at Maryhill.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: D. 5.

Cemetery: CHELA KULA MILITARY CEMETERY, NISH

Taking the dates of death & the area where they are buried they cannot have been attached to Commonwealth forces therefore the Serbian Relief Fund staff are either entitled to recognition or the SWH ladies have recognition in error - whatever the case lets not see the SWH ladies loose their recognition

Chris

Chris

I don't think the attachment has to be physical.

I suspect that for administrative purposes they came under some UK military authority somewhere. The same may well be the case for SRF.

Terry

I see - could could you check Chela Kula Cemetery Nish for any non world war graves please - I have a hunch

Chris

Terry

thanks - OK it was just a hunch

Chris

Anyone out there with a FindMyPast subscription who is prepared to help with the overseas death indices please

Can offer by return stuff from Ancestry

Chris

Jim

can you bear with me as Im still at work - will let you have chapter & verse tomorrow some time - thanks for the offer of help

Chris

Jim

they are

Lorna Ferris died June or July 1915

Mabel Dearmer died 11th July 1915

Richard Cecil Frederick Chichester died 31st July 1915

Cheers

Chris

Jim

another one please

Violet Thomasina Fraser died 9th March 1919

Chris

Hi Chris

No trace of Ferris, Dearmer, Chichester or Fraser in the consular death indices I'm afraid. I can't understand why - but having looked at the GRO website, it appears that there's no legal requirement (at present - and it probably applied then, as well) to report deaths overseas to the GRO. So they could well have slipped through this net. Presumably their deaths will have been recorded in the country of death - but how you'd go about tracing the foreign death registrations I really don't know.

Jim

Jim

thanks for looking - back to the drawing board

Chris

No trace of Ferris, Dearmer, Chichester or Fraser in the consular death indices I'm afraid. I can't understand why - but having looked at the GRO website, it appears that there's no legal requirement (at present - and it probably applied then, as well) to report deaths overseas to the GRO.

Also, in the case of Ferris and Dearmer in Serbia, consider that there was probably no consulate to report to. The British consular staff in Belgrade would have cleared out long before, probably in November 1914 when the city first fell to the Austro-Hungarians.

Adrian

See This News Article

Looks like we have found two of the graves & thrown up another non commemorated - Elizabeth Ross

Chris

On the face of it we have plenty of reports of their deaths - we have the graves, but we dont have any death certificates

So were does it go from here - Well Iam not going to let it rest

Chris

Lorna Ferris died on 4 July 1915 and her death, funeral and burial are described in her obituary. See link in post 25.

Greyhound

Yes got all that - thanks very much for your help - however the CWGC will not except newspaper reports as proof of death - yet we know where they are buried - just got to keep plugging away

Chris

Yet another 2 names from the Times of 18 Apr 1918

E V Bury

N Clarke

I meant that the information re Lorna was already to hand, and that her death is not what is in question. This is the reason for the non-commemoration:

The (Serbian Relief Fund) does not appear on its current list of civilian organisations recognised under certain circumstances for war grave status and commemoration.

It would be good if this situation could be reconsidered, so I wish you and Terry good luck.