Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Flt. Lt. Charles Leslie YOUNG DSC RNAS

wyndham

I have seen this officer's RNAS record and should like to raise a few questions which I am sure the experts on this site can answer.

1. He learnt to fly at Redcar and it would be interesting to know the type of planes he would have flown and what he qualified in.

2. He then went to Cranwell and his record shows he was recommended for seaplanes. How would this come about? Is it based on supply and demand?

3. He transferred to Felixstowe where he trained further on small and large American boats. However, he was flying out of Great Yarmouth when he was killed on 30 May 1918. There is no date of transfer to the

latter, so can I presume that Felixstowe is the controlling station?

4. He was awarded the DSC for sinking an enemy submarine 0n 29 July 1917. Is it possible to discover further details of this exploit, i.e.where and what type of submarine?

Hello,

I found no trace of a German submarine sunk by an airplane on 29/7/1917

Regards,

Cnock

"RN Aircraft Serials & Units" gives:

Ser 8662 (Curtiss H.8 Large America) "With [ser] 8676 dropped bomb on UB20, which sank, 7nm NW of North Hinder 29/7/17 (FSL CL Young DSC, FSL AT Barker, AM2(E) WJ Priest, & L/Tel HT Wilks)."

Hello,

some sources states that UB20 was sunk by air planes.

othr sources sattes that the UB 20 was sunk by a sea mine on 28/7/17

Other sources states that the pilots who attacked the UB 20, mentionned in their reports after return to base, that the sub was of UC-type. (but the British aviators could easily been wrong in naming the type)

Some years ago, divers investigated the wreck of UB20, and said that there was severe damage to the bow, with torpedotubes almost completely torn away, typical for a sea mine.

I think it will stay a mistery how UB20 came to her end.

Regards,

Cnock

Cnock/IanC/horathio2

What can I say; having mowed the lawn, cleaned out the fish pond, had a shower followed by my tea, virtually all my questions have been answered!

Gentlemen, thank you ever so much.

However, to add to the information on the UB20, the following is from the officer's service record:-

"Operation Report No 38: - 29.7.17. Dropped bombs on enemy S/M making two direct hits. Submarine sank stern first.

A/02363. CW09796. 22.8.17. Awarded D.S.C. for above exploit."

As Cnock states it is doubtful if the way in which this vessel was sunk can be proved absolutely; but surely there must have been witnesses to this action as it is quite unlikely that a medal at this level would have been awarded purely on the pilot's say-so?

Hi Wyndham,

look here :

I want to be clear :

I am the last to say they didn't believe what they reported.

Regards,

Cnock

3. He transferred to Felixstowe where he trained further on small and large American boats. However, he was flying out of Great Yarmouth when he was killed on 30 May 1918. There is no date of transfer to the

latter, so can I presume that Felixstowe is the controlling station?

Date of transfer might be on his RAF service record in AIR 76/566.

Hi Wyndham ! :)

I found this ..... it's quite interesting to follow the links !! but heres more than one theory .......

UB-20 "28 Jul, 1917 - Hit a mine and sank with all hands while on a diving trial off Zeebrugge at 51.21N, 02.38E."

UB-20 "Destroyed by Seaplanes 8676 and 8862, in the North Sea, 29th July, 1917.

UB-20 "July 28. Mined. Possibly sunk by two seaplanes off N.Hinder L.V. the same day while on a 'Jolly' with guests aboard including some women."

http://www.uboat.net/forums/read.php?23,73219,73219,quote=1

Annie :)

PS How wonderful to get a photograph !!

Cnock/per adua/Annie

Thank you all once again for the replies. It's quite amazing there are so many versions as to what happened to UB20; it will have to remain a mystery which I doubt will ever be solved.

`Et Al' - here are awards for `sinking' of submarine - maybe `your' boat- note for BOMBING enemy submarine - not for sinking of sub ??? ;

MACKENZIE Warren R DSC Flt.Lt. RNAS 85T149 Seaplane 8676

Rear Admiral Shotley 14.09.17 Gazetted

R.N.A.S. Officers - Submarine Attack by Seaplanes 8662 & 8676 29.07.17 DSC - bar to

For good services in bombing an enemy submarine on the 29th July, 1917.

YOUNG Charles L N/E Flt.S/Lt. RNAS 85T149 Seaplane 8662

R.N.A.S. Officers - Submarine Attack by Seaplanes 8662 & 8676 29.07.17 DSC

Sadsac

`Et Al' - awards to other flight-crew members of A/C's 8662 & 8676 ;

BARKER Arthur T N/E Flt.S/Lt. RNAS 85T149 Seaplane 8662

R.N.A.S. Officers - Submarine Attack by Seaplanes 8662 & 8676 29.07.17 Mentioned in Despatches

BALL Sidney E N/E Flt.S/Lt. RNAS 85T149 Seaplane 8676

R.N.A.S. Officers - Submarine Attack by Seaplanes 8662 & 8676 29.07.17 Mentioned in Despatches

Again not for SINKING submarine !! Note ; based Shotley (Harwich).

Sadsac

• 11 years later...

Just to resurrect this thread a decade later! On a  recent visit to Key Hill cemetery in Birmingham I came across his story via his parents headstone which has the inscription on, as below in his memory.

There also appears some confusion as to wethwer he had beeen awarded the  DSC  or the DFC mentioned on differing stones.

Can any pal clarify?  SG

4.jpg

Admiralty, 14th September, 1917.

HONOURS FOR SERVICES IN ACTION WITH ENEMY SUBMARINES.

The KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of the following honours, decorations and medals to Officers and Men for services in action with enemy Submarines:—

To receive the Distinguished Service Cross.

Flt. Lieut. (actg. Flt. Cdr.) Osborne Arthur Butcher, R.N.A.S.

Flt. Lieut. John Osborn Galpin, R.N.A.S.

Flt. Sub-Lieut. Charles Leslie Young, R.N.A.S.

Unfortunately, no citation.

Graeme

14 hours ago, salientguide said:

Just to resurrect this thread a decade later! On a  recent visit to Key Hill cemetery in Birmingham I came across his story via his parents headstone which has the inscription on, as below in his memory.

4.jpg

Court of Enquiry        No. 61028/18

Captain T.V. (sic) Young, D.S.C.   R.A.F.

Ensign J.T. Roe, U.S.N.F.C.

Cpl. Grant, 211338, "E"

Private J.N. Money, 207040. W/T

Private W.S. Chase, 213914. G/L

This machine was flying in company with F.2.A. No. 4295, Captain Fitzrandolph, on long reconnaissance patrol to Borkum Area and was forced to landing with engine trouble 25 yo 30 miles North-West of Borkum Island. F.2.A No. 4295 stood-by for 50 minutes until attacked by two enemy sea planes; during the encounter with these machines 4295 lost sight of 8660 and, although she searched the area for one hour was unable to find her, so returned to Base, landing at 4.45.p.m. At 6.0.p.m. F.2.A No. 4512, Captain Leckie was sent to search a wide area round the position in which 8660 landed; this machine returned at 11.0.p.m. reporting good visibility but to (sic) trace of 8660. A Pigeon returned to Base at 7.55.P.M. with the following message:-

"F.2.A. 8660 on water attacked by three Huns."

http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/young-c.l.-charles-leslie

JP

Edit:  Charles Leslie Young DSC and Henry Francis Chase - Hollybrook Memorial, Southampton:

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead/results?cemetery=Hollybrook%2BMemorial%2c%2BSouthampton&war=1&exactDate=30-05-1918

Edited by helpjpl

Thanks all for clarification any indication what the DSC was for? Previous posts seemed to indicate attack on a u boat?

Out of interest his panel at the Southampton memorial to those missing in N Sea ( including Kitchener who is commemorated on a seperate panel ) clearly shows him as DFC

should we report this apparent error to CWGC?  SG85.jpg.5ba9237806ef34d1887acedd5d4e6d28.jpg

4.jpg

• 1 year later...

The case of loss for UB 20 is not as issue. It is a mine.

UB 20 returned from patrol in the English Channel on June 17, 1917. That same day the boat was damaged during an air raid on Bruges. Repairs were conducted at Ostend and lasted until July 27. The next day, UB 20 sailed with a reduced crew on what should have been a four-hour series of trials. She did not return to port. The wreck has subsequently been located and identified through propeller markings. The location off Ostend matches a minefield laid by the destroyer HMS Telemachus on July 14, 1917.