Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Berkshire Territorial Royal Horse Artillery.

high wood

Excellent photo's, thanks for posting them.

Phil

Interesting set of badges in post #2, as well as the photographer's typo.

Daggers

Here is a closeup of the badges. The post card says, "Harry Ford and George" on the back. I believe that Harry Ford may have been Cpl Harry Ford 616019. Some of the others might be: Sadler Sergeant 137-616011 Edward H Seymour. Wheelwright Sergeant 152-616013 Maurice E Adey, Fitter Sergeant 616016 John Massey, Wheelwright Sergeant 214-616017 William H Hibberd as they all have low Territorial service renumbers. No way of telling for sure without other evidence.

post-6480-1221405958.jpg

Superb Photographs: made even more exciting by the fact I have Mr Hibberds 1914~15 Star Trio & Geo V;TFEM in my Collection!!!

If you would like a better quality copy of the photograph please send a SAE and a large wad of cash. Alternatively, we can swap the medals for the photograph if you prefer.

Seriously though, send me your email address and I will do you a copy.

Simon.

If you would like a better quality copy of the photograph please send a SAE and a large wad of cash. Alternatively, we can swap the medals for the photograph if you prefer.

Seriously though, send me your email address and I will do you a copy.

Simon.

Ah the generosity of GWF Pals...

Many thanks Simon a better image would be appreciated I will PM my eMail address many many thanks Regards Roger{HB}

Ah the generosity of GWF Pals...

Many thanks Simon a better image would be appreciated I will PM my eMail address many many thanks Regards Roger{HB}

Copy sent.

There are two possible candidates for the Sergeant Wheelwright second from left in the back row either Hibberd or Maurice E Adey. Would it be possible to work out which one held the rank in 1913?

There are two possible candidates for the Sergeant Wheelwright second from left in the back row either Hibberd or Maurice E Adey. Would it be possible to work out which one held the rank in 1913?

Many thanks High Wood

His record survives {just this moment discovered on Ancestry {numbered wrongly} and shows him as Wheeler Sergt in August 1914,enlisted 3.06.1909. papers show promoted Wheeler Sergeant~02.04.1912 from Wh Corpl on enlistment...

If you want a copy of papers I will download & send to you

Cheers Roger

• 3 years later...

All

Just come across this thread whilst looking for details on the 1/1st Berkshire RHA. I am trying to find out more about their time in Egypt, particularly Charles Gosset Mayall who (I think) went on to command the 75th DAC from its formation through out the remainder of the war.

Anybody have any ideas ? Will post a seperate enquiry also.

Would appreciate any input.

Regards

Dave

Dave,

Here is a short list of places I have compiled. By no means complete.

Churn Camp - September 1914 (signed E.624)

Walsingham - February and March 1915

Embarked Avonmouth 09-04-15, Disembarked Alexandria 25-04-15

Abu Gandir - 01-07-15

Embarked Suez 13-07-15, Disembarked Aden 18-07-15

Sheikh Othman - 25-08-15

Embarked Aden 17-09-15, Disembarked Suez 24-09-15 joined MEF

(reinforcements from Devonport 23-10-15, Alexandria 13-11-15)

Higginstown, Ismailia - October to December 1915

Abu Gandir - 04-02-16

Deir El-Azzab - May to October 1916

Ayun Musa - October to December 1916

War Diary for 1917 - here

(reinforcements Southampton 24-07-17, Alexandria 09-08-17)

Beirut - March to May 1919

Port Said - 10-06-19 (1914 men embarked on "Ellenga" for UK)

Brilliant David.

Thank you.

Dave

• 1 year later...

My grandfather Albert ("Bert") Avery served as a Driver in the Berkshire RHA from 1908 - 1919. He was involved in the Egyptian campaign and kept a diary from 1915 to 1919. I have transcribed the whole diary. Also, I have numerous photographs taken during the campaign.

If these materials are of any interest, I would be glad to share them.

All the best,

Stephen

Stephen,

That is marvellous and well done for transcribing the diary. It may be better than the actual War Diary, sometimes they are sparse in places.

As you can see I've done a very rough outline of their movements from surviving Service and Pension Records. Expanding on this is great.

I think you will be able to contact me when you have a few more posts, at that time I'll pass on my email.

Strangely, I cannot find his Medal Card. Do you have his number(s), one will be quite low and the other in the form 616xxx.

The only Avery on my list is Sidney A J Avery 192, 616015. Can you also spot him in the photos above?

Dear David,

Thanks for your interest. I will reply separately to your email address with a full transcript.

My grandfather's full name was "Albert Sydney John Avery", so you have obviously found the right record.

Best wishes,

Stephen

• 2 years later...

If anyone is interested we have in our collection a number of pre war photos of the Berks RHA. If members are interested I will scan and post some of them in this topic. They are in a collection of a Douglas Eady who enlisted into the Berks RHA before transferring to the Berks Yeo in about 1913. Douglas lived in East Hanney, and I think serving with the Abingdon Troop Berks Yeo was easier for him than travelling to Reading for the Berks RHA.

Regards

Andrew

If anyone is interested we have in our collection a number of pre war photos of the Berks RHA. If members are interested I will scan and post some of them in this topic. They are in a collection of a Douglas Eady who enlisted into the Berks RHA before transferring to the Berks Yeo in about 1913. Douglas lived in East Hanney, and I think serving with the Abingdon Troop Berks Yeo was easier for him than travelling to Reading for the Berks RHA.

Regards

Andrew

It would be great to see your pictures Andrew.

Hi everybody

Firstly a groups men incl Sergts & Sergt-Majors, etc at Camp 1911. I think the unit went to Churn from memory.

post-7967-0-21708900-1446629414_thumb.jp

No idea of names but presumably some PS BSM and in the centre a FQMS (TF?)

Will post another tomorrow. (Bit busy at work today)

Regards

Andrew

Another picture this time of the officers

I am pretty certain that the commanding officer in the centre in Lieut Colonel Leslie Wilson DSO MP.

He was in command until Feb 1915 when he was appointed CO of the of the RND battalions (Hawke Bn I think)

post-7967-0-71449100-1446661310_thumb.jp

I think at Churn Camp near Blewbury Berkshire again. Note rifle butts in background. If the name of the dog wasn't "Spot" then there's no justice.

As regards Berks RHA timeline WW1, I can add a bit of detail to a previous posting for home service.

Mobilised Reading - August 1914

On trek in East Anglia - August 1914 (Bury St Edmunds, Theford, Dereham, etc)

Churn Camp September-October 1914

Then into billets

East Hanney, etc., Berkshire October - November 1914

Saxthorpe & Corpusty, Norfolk November -December 1914​

Walsingham Norfolk - December 1914 - April 1915

Embarked Avonmouth 09-04-15, Disembarked Alexandria 25-04-15

Regards

Andrew

All

Just come across this thread whilst looking for details on the 1/1st Berkshire RHA. I am trying to find out more about their time in Egypt, particularly Charles Gosset Mayall who (I think) went on to command the 75th DAC from its formation through out the remainder of the war.

Anybody have any ideas

Would appreciate any input.

Regards

Dave

Kelly's Berks Bucks & Oxon 1911 page 160 Berkshire Royal Horse Artillery, Castle hill. Major C. G. Mayall, commanding; Capt. & Adjutant, H. J. A. Evans; Drill Instructor, Sergt.-Major J. Bradley Army Service Corps (head quarters 2nd South Midland Mounted Brigade Transport & Supply Columns),Castle hill; Capt. A G. Troup, commanding; 2nd Lieut. L. G. Troup : Drill Instructor, Sergt.-Major Thomas Mole.

Stephen has kindly shared his grandfather Bert's diary with the museum.

One or two entries are a little puzzling. Can any Royal Artillery experts translate entries "Rough exercise" These seem to occur first thing in the morning. Also "Dress Exercise" I assume the latter is everything polished up as for a smart parade & inspection ?

Regards

Andrew

Dear David,

Thanks for your interest. My grandfather's full name was "Albert Sydney John Avery", so you have obviously found the right record.

Best wishes,

Stephen

Stephen,

I notice online you grandfather has a second medal index card WO 372/24/110830 MID TFEF MSM but I don't have access to it.

Is this card for his Territorial Force Efficiency Medal or another award? Maybe someone will confirm...

I have an interest in Berkshire RHA because they are a local unit and I can research in Reading locally.

I have been collecting details on their exploits for over a year and most of my info comes from a publication by Reading Standards newspaper called "Berkshire and the War" (B&TW) which printed a very good account of the Berkshire Battery's exploits from August 1914 through the end of the war in 1918 on pages 953 through to 963 (Volume 4).

If you were to overlay this account with the entries in you grandfathers diary then it would add a lot of meaning and background to the events described.

There is no direct reference to Albert Avery but B&TW is an easy to read publication which was aimed at the general public and also has some Berks R.H.A illustrations and info on pages 744, 827, 892, and 978

If you have difficulty getting access to B&TW I can forward

Regards

Wayne

• 11 months later...

Folks

Revisiting this. I have a little more info than I did back in '12 and am particularly interested in the Bty's time with the Fayum Force in 1916.

Anyone have interest in exploring this ?

regards

Dave