Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

percentage of jocks' in ww1

Skipman

When I first saw this thread I misread its title as "Parentage of Jocks." It's a good thing I didn't respond accordingly, I caught myself just in time.

I cannot bring myself to use the term "jocks" here. When I was in school that was a pejorative term for the fellows who were more interested in the football team than in academic pursuits.

To add some barely relevant numbers to the discussion, here are some bits from my database of some twelve thousand odd soldiers enlisted in the Edmonton area (this is not complete!): About 6700 were born in the U.K., of whom about 1600 were born in Scotland. Because of the heavy pre-war immigration to these parts I cannot see how one could be confident of any corresponding figures for the military-age population.

There are other measures of "scottishness". Among our battalions was a Highland unit, the 194th Battalion (Edmonton Highlanders). Of the more than 1100 men on my list, some 230 were born in Scotland, of about 520 born in the U.K. There were also about 400 born in Canada and over 100 in the U.S.A. Among our Highlanders some 30 were born in France, Belgium, Norway, Sweden, Denmark or Italy. Another 65 hailed from Russia, Poland or Roumania.