Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Second Lieutenant Henry Birkett

Northern Soul

Can anyone with access to the appropriate book(s) provide me with some details of the accidental death of 2/Lt Henry Birkett on 24th October, 1918? All I know is that he was attached to No. 3 Flying School and died in a crash somewhere in Norfolk.

Cheers.

Andy.

Henry Birkett was born on 29th June 1899 & was the son of Mr & Mrs Birkett of the School House, Muncaster (was Cumberland) now Cumbria. He was commissioned into the East Yorkshire Regiment before joining the RAF. He is buried in the Churchyard of St Michael's Church in Muncaster & there is a memorial to him & the other members of the parish in the church itself. The church is right next to Muncaster castle. From the memorial I would guess that Henry Birkett's parents had it erected. I also have a photo of it but unfortunately it was taken with an old 35mm camera rather than my digital. Andy if you want the photo drop me a PM or email with your address & i'll send it by snail mail.

Will,

Thanks for the info. I have a photo of his headstone - took me while to find it as I thought I was looking for a CWGC-pattern type. Ditto Alfred Vassali (also commemorated in Muncaster churchyard by the CWGC) - a private memorial and I had to scramble through a particularly large rhododendron to find it.

You seem well-informed about Muncaster War Memorial; don't suppose you have ever figured out who James Scott was by any chance? The Memorial Tablet says he was a Private (sic) in the Royal Engineers but I have never managed to identify him.

Regards.

Andy.

You seem well-informed about Muncaster War Memorial; don't suppose you have ever figured out who James Scott was by any chance? The Memorial Tablet says he was a Private (sic) in the Royal Engineers but I have never managed to identify him.

Andy...............Ah the elusive Private Scott..................Unfortunately he is the only man on the Muncaster memorial that I haven't been able to identify yet............. <_< .................I don't get up that way much but this chap is definitely on my list for a newspaper archive search.