Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arial raid Beaurevoir, October 8th 1918

Guest apisani

Son of a Norwegian cavalry officer, Pte. H.R. Johnson, was killed on tuesday 08.10.1918. Pte. Johnson joined the Canadian forces as early as September 1914. The local library of his hometown in Trondheim in Norway would very much like more details surrounding his death. The war diary of his unit mentions 1 OR killed by "arial bombs" on the date of his death. Is it possible to find out more about this incident? I presume it has been an air raid? Can anyone help?

Note from War Diary of Machine Gun Squadron Canadian Cavalry, October 8th 1918.

"At 3 am squadron moved to Brigade consentration!? point in valley S W of Joncourt. At daylight squadron moved to Beaurevoir area in support to 1st Cav Div + returned after dark to Nauroy area. 1 OR killed + 1 OR wounded by arial bombs"

Thanks,

Antoni

I cannot give you any precise details. However, to put this in context, aerial bombing became much more frequent in the last year of the war. Unit reports often feature descriptions of attacks, especially in rear areas. Night raids were conducted by heavier bombers, who would attack camps, railheads and other important targets. From the reports I have read, casualties were usually not heavy but it is not uncommon for one, two or a few people to be killed and/or wounded. It is quite likely that Private Johnson was killed in such a raid.